Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Suddenly the model is all angles...

Kelley

I was getting ready to model the hands on this character. I needed some extra desk space to write a note and I slipped the keyboard in between the monitor and the computer tower. It was a snug fit and some keys got rattled. Suddenly the model was all angles. I am suspecting that this is just a matter of how the screen renders, and that I have not changed the geometry of the model. Anyone out there have a suggestion on restoring it? Thanks...

angular_TUBS_web.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was getting ready to model the hands on this character. I needed some extra desk space to write a note and I slipped the keyboard in between the monitor and the computer tower. It was a snug fit and some keys got rattled. Suddenly the model was all angles. I am suspecting that this is just a matter of how the screen renders, and that I have not changed the geometry of the model. Anyone out there have a suggestion on restoring it? Thanks...

Thanks for the come-back. The 'page-up/page-down' didn't change anything. I tried it with all points selected, and not. However, [as per your suggestion] a quick render revealed that nothing in the geometry has changed. The hand that is being built doesn't not seem to share the angularity of the rest of the model. Maybe when I close down the PC for the night the problem will be resolved in the morning. We'll see. Thanks again.

angular__not__TUBS_web.jpg

It is typical for A:M to display some curves as line segments while in shaded or shaded/wireframe mode. It helps free up resources. It takes more mem. for the computer to draw a true spline as opposed to an approximated one. It is also relying more on the hardware rendering-which is line and vertex based. Don't worry, the software does this sort of thing on purpose.

P.S. LOOOOOOVE yer character.

The 'page-up/page-down' didn't change anything.

Thats weird. If you haven't changed anything to make your model angular - you should see a change in how the model draws in real time. Page up will increase in steps the display resolution of polys/patch to max 16ish (actually adaptive draw res) & page down will lower it to minimum 1 poly/patch. You should see a display change as you progressively raise or lower the resolution via page up/down.

So maybe you accidently peaked the points using the "upper triangle looking tool" tool in modeling mode to just 1 or 2 groups..

Yes I think your character is fun!

I agree with Nancy. I have accidentally done the same thing. It took me longer to un-peak everything than it did to peak the whole model but that's what I think you did. You can round them back out using the o letter key but when I did this I had to go 1 cp at a time.

I agree with Nancy. I have accidentally done the same thing. It took me longer to un-peak everything than it did to peak the whole model but that's what I think you did. You can round them back out using the o letter key but when I did this I had to go 1 cp at a time.

If he had peaked them, though, the preview render would be all angles too. But his renders are still round...

My thanks to you all for the response. I am attaching a quik-render of Sgt. Tubs. As you can see, it's not the geometry that's the problem. And it wasn't 'point/no point' on the vertices. As long as that's the case, I can live with whatever is going on. I'll re-try the page up/down again.

The character himself was the brainchild of Vaughn Bode' [best known for "Cheech Wizard" in the late 60's]. Most of Bode's characters, and comics were one page affairs, but Tubs was a longer piece published in JUNKWAFFEL Comics.

My copy of "The Set-Up Machne" just arrived. Being the new kid here, [as far as A:M] here comes the 'moment of truth'.

TUBS_real_rendering_web.jpg