Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The Adobe Illustrator plug in...

Slipin Lizard

Has anyone out there used the AI plug in that comes with Animation Master? I am trying to bring in a logo from an illustrator file and I can locate the file no problem, the option dialogue box comes up, but when I hit "ok" nothing happens. The model window just sits empty. Anyone actually been able to create a 3D logo with the AI plug in?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone out there used the AI plug in that comes with Animation Master? I am trying to bring in a logo from an illustrator file and I can locate the file no problem, the option dialogue box comes up, but when I hit "ok" nothing happens. The model window just sits empty. Anyone actually been able to create a 3D logo with the AI plug in?

It works for me (v. 11), but I think I have seen that problem in the past. Are you sure it's not coming in really tiny? You can tell by clicking the "Zoom Fit" button (or press shift+Z). THis will cause the model to fill the window.

Did you try just saving the selected vector outline to ai, or did you save the whole document? I use Corel Draw and I first select the vector, and then export as an ai file.

Let us know how you make out.

Nos

Ok, thanks for your response. I figured out the problem. I was saving it as too new a version of AI. I resaved it to version 8, and AM recognized the file. I guess that raises the question of whats the latest version of AI the plugin can work with? But thanks, I'm good to go.

My last post looks stupid... Luck bat beat me to it... Doh!

• 4 months later...

Does the illustrator plug in offer a range of vector output possiblilities? I often need to bring vector animations into Flash, and I'm wondering if A:M is a tool I can use for that. Does anyone know of any links where I can see what kind of vector output is possible with A:M? Or isn't that what this plug-in does? Thanks in advance!

• Admin

Sorta on topic... this may be of interest to those that need to convert their bitmap/pixel based images to vector/line drawings for import into Animation:Master via the AI Wizard.

You can convert the image online or download the utility Deliniate for use.

Note that the online utility does store your graphic online for some time so you should be willing for others to see what you convert.

http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/

The utility does support AI output but that isn't apparent on the main page.

Helpful hint: Keep the drawings simple for best results.

To add to Rodney's slightly askew reply regarding tracing bitmaps to vectors... I'm offering something that may not work... but would be worth the attempt especially if you haven't got any AI compatible software....

Here we go:

Last year in the OT forum somebody posted a link to Creature House Expressions which had been bought out by ("the evil") MS.... the link still takes you there... but I don't know if you can still download the executable... and, if you decide to do so... a few caveats... You will have to fill out a MS questionaire... you will have to have or create a MS Net passport login... and finally, it may be a limited time useability... If #3 is the case, you could download MS Graphic designer for free and use thru the end of the year.

It has an auto trace funcition.... I do not know how well it works... and it sorts by color, apparently from what research I have gotten from the web (I'm not at home to try it)

I HAVE used the program to create AI graphics in AI ver 8 or below... to use with the AI wizard

That said... here's the link.... hope it works for you>>> linky

What great suggestions! Thank you both! I was actually wondering if the AI plug-in works in a way similar to the Ravix rendering engine, which outputs vector animation from various 3D softwares, but I hadn't considered the possibility of converting a bitmap animation to vector after rendering. If the process could be automated, such as it probably can in Illustrator, then it may be a feasible solution.

So, just to be sure... from your replies, I'm assuming that the answer is no, the AI plug-in is not for rendering out to vector ...correct? It's for importing AI files into A:M, right?

Thanks again!

Kali, the AI wizard is only for importing and not exporting but doesn't Flash have a built-in trace function anyway? I'm pretty sure it does.

Thanks, Paul. Looks like we were typing replies at the same time, so you were answering my question while I was asking it. :) Flash doesn't do a very good job of it. It usually makes the file bigger than the bitmap would be. But the new Illustrator offers this function.

If you take care with your lighting and try to keep your renders pretty flat, avoiding complex textures, in A:M then Flash will stand a chance of producing frames composed of less shapes. I think you have to play with the settings in both A:M and Flash and find a happy medium. You'll probably never get the size of the files down to what you would if you drew each frame by hand in Flash but by making some compromises at the outset you can still get good results.

• 5 months later...

Also, make sure you're saving your Illustrator file in Illustrator 8 format. The plugin can't read newer formats.

This answered my question as I have Illustrator 10 and couldn't see any splines appear in the model window. Thanks in advance.