Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A request of sorts for New Users

Rodney

• Admin

The A:M Community always stands ready to help each other out and this is indeed one of the reasons why I devote time to the community. I've been on the recieving end of the community's generosity more times than I can count.

Having said that... a word of caution to new users might be in order.

The knowledgeable among us (old and new) can certainly help us through the trouble spots but carelessly abusing the graces of others is guaranteed to put a stop to such excellent assistance rather than see it prosper and get us to the goal (whatever that may be in each case).

Of course, A:M Community members can defend themselves so I'm not attempting to speak for them. They can smash egos with the best of 'em. I have, however, noticed an increase in bold and even brazen requests in the forum. Perhaps they weren't meant that way and this post is unnecessary.

I'm posting this primarily because the quality of new users posts has consistently been quite productive and I hope it continues to be in the future.

Please consider that others 'want' to help you but the way you approach things can make a lot of difference.

Also, if someone does help you... a "Thank You" can also go a long way.

This isn't directed to anyone in particular and I haven't been on the recieving end of any of the activity I describe. This isn't a problem as of yet. I just felt it might be an appropriate time to address the issue.

For additional/related information please check The Forum Guidelines

Thank you for your time. :)

Rodney

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nicholas8681

It was me wasn't it? I knew I shouldn't have hit them with a leather strap! But they were being mean to me Pa! I'M SORRY!!

But seriously, well said. I have found the community to be very helpful in helping me decide whether an upgrade is a good option. And they have helped me decide to take the leap. I hope to help out within the community to the best of my abilities, and that deciding to take the plunge won't be a regret. :)

One thing that might be a good suggestion to new users, is to make the topic of their post describe or relate to their problem. As opposed to the "Help?" and "It doesn't work." OR the classic "Why?"

A better choice would be: Help with Constraints. Just my two cents. I know I make the same mistake in forums.

Brian

Wow!

Rodney you should go into politics!

Very nicely done. There is a fine line to straddle in these situations. You don't want to discourage people, but at the same time... it can get out of hand.

What I try to do is to make an effort to read between the lines determining who "deserves" a thorough response. This is not scientific... and probably is not exactly fair... but I have to start somewhere.

This could also be a tip to new users. When you ask your questions, dropping subtle hints about tools and basic use of AM, and other places you checked for information, indicates that you have made some minimum effort to try on your own first.

Asking for help in small chunks is beneficial to both sides as well. Sometimes there is so much information requested I just roll my eyes and click out... sensory overload.

Attitude is a big plus. If the "attitude" of the questioner actually "puts me off" I am less likely to help. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

SUBJECT TITLES!!! Put the actual question in the subject, or as much as possible! Please! You have two whole lines available. We could almost read a plot outline before we even click the link.

"I have a problem!"

I almost never click those... unless I am really bored or curious... plus doing searches later... these can get totally lost.

-----------

One last tip!

Every member of the forum has an option for a signature. Go in there and just add your computer specs and AM version. This helps when others are trying to solve your problems. You will never get those responses "What platform and version of AM do you use?" ever again.

Vernon "Do as I say not as I do" Zehr

Well My only question is and always has been: "how do i model?"

if only someone could answer me that simple question, id never need to post again.

Truthfully though, I spend more time on this forum than i do using am i think.

Mostly to review others questions. Very rarely to answer, as my knowledge is limited- and sometimes to ask. I hope this forum continues its excellent tradition of being populated by knowledgable people who take thetime to teach.

Its been my only sanctuary.

P.S Rodney, if it was me just tell me - dont torture me dag-nabbit

The A:M Community always stands ready to help each other out and this is indeed one of the reasons why I devote time to the community. I've been on the recieving end of the community's generosity more times than I can count.

Hey, Rodney's back ... great for you ... you've got to be one of the "lucky" ones ... after reading thru your post ... I had to dig thru the archives for this one ;)

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...83&hl=photoshop

In the ABA, ProTools DUC, MacWorld & Apple forum, we sorta pride ourselves on answering questions. And yes, some questions often get asked more than once ... however, I do find this forum is a bit different when it comes to assistance ...

In all my searching, and yes I do a lot of searching ... there are many many people fm years ago who never received not one answer or any help whatsoever ... strange, but true ...

:D

It's all good ...

• Admin

Gale,

Sometimes the reason people don't respond is because they have absolutely nothing to say on the matter. ;)

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by 'lucky'. I'd say 'average' at best.

I recently ran across a few questions I had asked long ago that I still don't have a answer for. While I think they were fairly well formulated I'd guess no one knew the answer or (perhaps more likely) the people that knew the answer simply hadn't read my post. Perhaps I should have sent them to support@hash.com. I usually have a hundred little questions rolling through my mind and I'll wait for the opportunity to launch them. If "On Topic", the results will yield tenfold.

A much better way to approach unanswered queries (especially if not directly related to A:M) might be to look for the answer elsewhere. When that fails rewording the question might be in order with a fresh post in the forum.

Timing also is important. If the question is missed the first time it might be for any number of reasons. Post the question again after a little time or consider if it was posted in the proper forum in the first instance. "To the patient come the fruits"

There is perhaps one situation I've noted where people might legitimately think they are being ignored... and that is perhaps one of the reasons I posted on this subject in the first place. I'd prefer they not have to go there.

When people post their frustration concerning failure to get answers in the forum of the "Why won't anyone answer my question!" sort, they fail to get the point. If they add insult and additional commentary attacking the very same people that try to help them their chance of being ignored is most assured. Can be funny at times... but mostly it is just frustrating. ;)

So, which is more important... an ego stroke or the answer to a question?

The answer to the question *should be* obvious.

(Perhaps yet another unnecessary post but... for what it is worth)

Best,

Rodney :)

*Gale: You may have to explain the significance of the link you posted. I haven't a clue. People *should* ask questions and be a part of the community. Nothing new here.

*Gale: You may have to explain the significance of the link you posted. I haven't a clue. People *should* ask questions and be a part of the community. Nothing new here.

Rodney, as aways, you are the consummate gentlemen. If it were not for you, I believe I'd of vanished long ago ;)

My Picaninny character will be 1 yr old on the 8th of April ... I believe it's time to debut ...

• Admin
My Picaninny character will be 1 yr old on the 8th of April ... I believe it's time to debut ...

Great News!

I should note (I'm ever so on topic!) that you did get me intrigued when you said "many many people from years ago who never received not one answer or any help whatsoever".

Ouch.

I'm sure there are a few but my experience (and a brief check) tells me "a few" is more accurate than "many many". ;)

I can't speak for the other forum areas but I pride myself in keeping the 0s out of view. In other words if people don't get at least one answer to their question... I'll often look it up. Having said that... if the answer (or at least a lead) isn't there... the 0 stays.

From my perspective I see an average of 1 post for each page (that's 40 posts on my screen) that doesn't get a response over the past year in the New Users Forum. Now keep in mind that some of these aren't questions... some are "Here's a model" or "Thanks" type posts. Many don't require a response.

I do agree we should have responded to a few of these... but somehow they just slipped past. No slight intended. Within the New Users Forum the 0s are more likely to let you know what subject matter "Rodney" doesn't have a clue about. ;)

That is where "Rodney" diminishes and the A:M Community takes it's rightful place.

Unlike me the community knows the answers.

As I've indicated above there are many reasons posts might not get a response.

Sometimes the original poster finds the answer in a different area of the forum.

If anyone thinks their questions have gone unanswered we can always start a new topic titled "Age old questions" or something and get them nailed down.

"How do I model"... well Tony, that one is gonna get you some interesting answers. :D

Looking forward to your Picaninny's debut Gale. 'Bout time! :)

In all my searching, and yes I do a lot of searching ... there are many many people fm years ago who never received not one answer or any help whatsoever ... strange, but true ...

:D 

It's all good ...

Rodney, so sorry, I DID NOT MEAN to implie the NEW USER forum ... clearly, I DID MEAN searching in general ... my bad ...

When I search a topic (ie materials) I will search the entire forum, not just NEW USERS ...

From my perspective I see an average of 1 post for each page (that's 40 posts on my screen) that doesn't get a response over the past year in the New Users Forum.

Correct, again, I am referring to my method of searching ... using ALL forums ... I believe you have made it a point to answer all questions that have been ignored ... I've been on your receiving end.

Looking forward to your Picaninny's debut Gale. 'Bout time!  :) 

Yep, it will debut very soon ... along with credits & thanks to some ;)

Peace

No problem... no offence taken...

Cool, does that mean I get another certificate with a couple of lil stars by my name & a trophy with bullet holes in it ... and ... and ... and ...

It's all good ...

As someone who helps and who likes to be helped.. I can say that there is a right way and a wrong way to ask for assistance.

I usually look at questions and evaluate the complexity of the question. If it is something that is obviously answered in the docs or one of the tutorials on ARM I'll let it go. Not out of spite, but as a way of trying to get a person to search. Often more information comes from the search than from the straight answer.

If someone asks me directly.. I will usually respond, again based on the above statement, but more likely to help.

If the question applies to a very broad population, instead of how do I make thor's helmet, How can I model a helmet.. I'm more likely to answer. If there is some sharing of Knowledge with a question.. ie.. I know this, but I have a question about this.. then I'm 99 percent likely to answer.

If someone says.. do this for me... forget it.

I try to keep the above in mind when asking questions myself. Not long ago I posed a question that had bothered me for a while. In five minutes I had not only an answer, but the answer that solved the problem. Had I asked earlier that answer could have spared me 2 weeks worth of painstaking work. Live and learn.

The moral? Ask questions as soon as you have them. Offer some knowledge with a question (no matter the knowledge) and ask the question in the right way. Most of the time you'll get an answer and save yourself much trouble.

C