sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Second Attempt at a head

JoshB

This is a character for yep you guessed it...a personal project that will take me the rest of my lifetime to finish. This is the second attempt at a human head I have made (the first was lost due to computer crash and having no burner). Hasn't been textured or anything (except a bump effect to sit in for the fleshy vibe).

demo1.jpg

Due to the quality of the jpg I have just realized there is slight banding on the profile please disregard as this is not on the TGA. Thanks.

Critique away.

J

p.s. the main reason for this post is because I usually make a vow on art forums NOT to critique someone elses work until I post something for others to critique of mine. So, beware you might just get critiqued. I do admit I broke the rule for one poster, but hey I got something up within a few weeks so it doesn't count...right??

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A little cooper, a little Tyson, a little look at Den's wireframes (before his model became free), a Mads rotoscope, and a partridge in a pear tree--it's the hybrid head. It's light--it's airy--wireframe to come later--I want to animate it first to make sure it will work. Therefore, I don't want some newbie to come in here look at the wireframe (like I used to--A LOT) and then find out it doesn't animate well.

J

KenH--your wires have arrived. I did a couple of test poses and the head seems to be pretty animatable so anyone who wants to get a magnifying glass and mimic the splinage feel free.

David--I noticed the ear thing as well. It is a little difficult to get to be right as the rotoscope for the profile has been chopped on the back (behind the ear) and the top. Therefore, I think it's more that the cranium just isn't big enough. Still working on that part. People are starting to look at me really funny though. I keep staring to see what their ear are compare to their nose, and the back of their cranium's.

Jeff--I'm not quite sure what you mean by short. The chin doesn't go out far enough. Or, the distance from the chin to the neck/adam's apple isn't long enough. Take a look at the rotos as I think it will aid in this whole ordeal. The profile is slightly turned and VERY small so I have to try and compensate. His torso is also turned slightly to the left which is distorting the depth of his neck that I think you're talking about.

mads.jpgmads04.jpg

The rotos are from an actor Mads (something). They aren't the best. Right now I'm trying to make a 'general' head which is one reason it is so light. The other is because I just felt like taking advantage of the beauty of splines.

post-7-1108601544.jpg

Be careful with your roto's. If you look carefully you will see that the face is turned toward the viewer slightly pushing the ear even further back. I would suggest moving the ear and jaw hinge 1/2 to 3/4 an ear width forward and scale out the back of the head as a starting point.

Cheers