Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Is there a way to control orientation of an

For instance: If I name a circle as pathA, a bowl (rivit) object as object to extrude onto pathA, can I control the orientation of the bowl/rivit object? I want the flat ends of the copied bowls/rivits to lie on the same plane as the pathA circle. See pic. Hope this description makes sense.

Also, is there an exact way to orient the view perpendicular to a plane that is not aligned to the x/y/z planes? I've been doing it by trial and error, but I need more precision.

Acircle.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's what I would do.

First, don't worry about extruding them and having it rotate at the same time (if you're even concerning yourself with that).

Second, create a null and place it at absolute 0 for the center of your circle.

Third, set bones within each rivot and the bone starting at "true" center and ending perpendicular (sp?) to the side you want to face the outside of the path.

Fourth, create action, new constraint for each rivot bone. Aim at null. Now the bones will point to the null which will cause the backside of the rivot to be pointing out.

This would also be good to use for a telepathy effect (going to go on a tangent for a second).

Telepath stands in front of a door with these rivots holding it shut. Instead of creating an action where the bolts spin and move out. Take the null. Constrain it to a path duplicated from the pathA and have it go around and around and around causing the bolts to spin--then just make the bolts move toward the telepath.

Hope that works for you.

J

• Hash Fellow
For instance:  If I name a circle as pathA, a bowl (rivit) object as object to extrude onto pathA, can I control the orientation of the bowl/rivit object?  I want the flat ends of the copied bowls/rivits to lie on the same plane as the pathA circle.
The easiest modeling route is to make the circle path on a flat XZ plane and make the rivet so its flat side is on the same plane. Do the Extrude(copy) operation. Then select the whole result as a group and manuver it into the odd angle you wanted it in. (Do all your complex model postioning before you move to the odd angle)

Also, is there an exact way to orient the view perpendicular to a plane that is not aligned to the x/y/z planes?  I've been doing it by trial and error, but I need more precision.
One idea: before you do the odd angle manuver above, add a 2-point spline that marks the perpendicular position you'd like to view the assembly from. Later onin the chor you could position a camera at this point. Numberpad 1 switches between all your camera bviews. OF course this only applies in the chor.

In modeling mode, you can right click on the view settings (those weird numbers at the lower right with the arrows by them) and enter exact numbers. You may have to click the screen to see the new pos. If you found a view you liked, write the settings down on a post it, and reproduce it later this way. It would be cool if we could have savable view settings.