Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Head Model

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You've got a nice head model going there! Congrats.

Trying to get a likeness, especially of an attractive person is very difficult. (It always easier to make an ugly model.) So don't put down what you've accomplished.

To get the likeness takes a great deal of time, even if you use rotoscopes, which I will only use to get proportions right. Then I tweak and progressive render hundreds, if not thousands, of times to get the model looking like the real person.

Sometimes what we think a feature looks like in our head is quite different than what our reference shows. So learn to really see what information the reference has to offer.

Jim

I would agree that it is a very good model. I would be pleased with it if I were you. Bare in mind that the referece photo is quite odd. There is a lot of make-up and lighting going on there. I should think that it would be very hard to get a good impression off the same face without some judiciouse texturing. I am thinking particularly of the cheek bones and around the eyes. Notice also how the lips are over-painted with lipstic. Using a group for colouration would not suffice there as the colour doesn't follow the modelling.

In terms of the modelling (which is looking pretty good), the only area which really sticks out for me is the nose - really just the nostrils which need to be enlarged a little. It is surprising how much a part of the characer of a face the nostrils can play.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Nice model. I like the cheeks and lips especially. The one thing that bugs me the most is the shape of the eyes. Notice how her eyes sland down by the nose and up by the temples. Yours are just (American) football shaped. To quote an old art teacher of mine (and paraphrase Jim's post above), "Don't draw what you know is there, but rather what is there."

You may want to also check out the Cooper hair tutorial for better hair results.

Nice going so far.

I haven't decaled the model yet except for the eyes and the lips. In the past I have applied a photo of a face on models and it looks great but it produces a somewhat static

image.

I tried using a cell turb material with bump to produce the skin bump but haven't found a combination that works. It does make her look like she has acne. Perhaps this is a feature that could be implemented in future versions of AM. That is to say a combiner material that has the bump of skin. For that matter how about a skin plugin?

I thought the hair material applied to the eyebrows and eyelashes worked pretty well since no tweaking has been done. Also the scalp hair doesn't show up vey well in the photo but it actually looks great on screen. I made the hair with black diffuse, white spec and 100% kink. No grooming necessary. In the past the kink has looked funky but it seems better in ver 11.

Any way thanks for the constructive ideas.

Willib