sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Help with nose?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this - I tried the new users area but no response.

I'm trying to mimic Coopers tutorial. I started with the nose and rotoscopes as he did. I get the general concept but I'm really struggling with a few parts around the nostril. I realize some of this is just learn by trial and error but I could really use some suggestions, I've hit a brick wall on this. Here is a pic, note especially the arrowed areas, but the whole thing in general needs work.

post-7-1104711466.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Break (using "K" on the keyboard) all those splines in that area and redraw and reconnect it to smooth out that area.

Ok, I'll try some of that - I actually already did that once but must not have done enough. Is that a typical technique around tricky areas?

Tom

The only problem I see is a dead end spline - ie you have 5 spines going through 1 point. Finish that non coninuous spline as a hook rather than at a CP on the centreline of the nose - you'll then have a second 5 point patch but that should be OK.

Afterthought - since it is the centreline it won't be a hook but a new CP ;)

Hook.jpg

Cheers

Something similar to what David showed needs to be done on the outer part of the nostril where you have three splines intersecting also.

On that note - can someone briefly explain why this is bad just so I know? I seem to end up with this a lot (3 splines intersecting) and I must not be planning it out right. I think I have one more that isn't visible in the pic as well.

Ok, I'm struggling a bit here. I've removed the 3 point patches and I have two open sections that need to be patched. I cannot figure out how to do it. I tried to add a hook unsuccessfully (won't take, I must be doing it wrong) but it doesn't seem to be right to put a hook there.

I've attached a photo with the points highlighted, can someone point me in the right direction to fix this...or

Alternately - do I have too many splines? Is that part of my problem?

Tom

post-7-1104789867.jpg

Hi Tom,

The hooks won't take because you have a 6 point patch. You need to run the spine *through* the first and hook into the next. This will leave you with a 4 and 5 point patch in the first intersection:

NoseClose.jpg

Note that you create a CP at the new green spots and hooks on the *next* splines.

Cheers

Now - the problem with dead ending splines (a CP containing 2 continuous splines and a Spline end) is that the patches bordering the non continuous spline will be creased every time. Its the same as using peaked splines - ie no continuous curve so A:M creases hard edges.

*Never dead end a spline unless your intention is to create a crease*

Cheers

Thanks Hig, it almost sounds like I need to start over or try again with the hole for the nostril. This is quite the challenge I must say, but I feel that once I get the idea, things will click - I'm just not there yet.

Tom

Ok, I've updated it. I think instead of doing a hook I just ended up adding control points - nothing I did to make a hook seemed to work, but adding the CPs seemed to let me make the right patches.

Now, I have these odds "peaks" some highlighted and that one odd straight spline in the first capture to the left. I've tweaked the CPs around but getting rid of these is very tricky - I thought I saw something about the direction of normals? I can't seem to find that in the manual - would that help here?

Also, when I selected it all and did a copy/flip/attach it does wierd stuff. I can't seem to get it to mirror and attach. I tried just selecting the x group and doing it and that doesn't work either...anyway here it is.

post-7-1104799777.jpg

See some notes below to improve the mesh a little.

For Copy/Flip/Attach you must ensure that the centreline is scaled to 0% in X and that the centreline X value is set to 0 (ie all points on that centreline - you can select that spline and look at the translate X value in properties and set it to 0 to move them all - I think) Ideally go to wireframe view then do the copy flip attach ie select the entire mesh then right click on one of the centreline CPs (and make sure that the select indicator is indicating the centreline spline and NOT the lateral joining spline - on my system, set to default, it appears as a short green line on the spline)

Nose3.jpg

Cheers