sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Screwdriver In Progress

Hey everyone!

I thought I would let you all see my first model Im attempting in AM v.11. Its a screwdriver, a realistic one I might add :) . At least that is what Im trying to accomplish. I've been modelling what you see in the two images below for about 20-30 minutes, I did that in just that amount of time. Although, its not completed yet I think its pretty good so far seeing as it is my first model that I am doing in AM. Please tell me what you think so far :) .

Click on the 2 links for shaded view and shaded/wireframe view of the screwdriver:

UnfinishedScrewdriver1.jpg

UnfinishedScrewdriver2.jpg

Thanks Everyone

Paul

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll keep that in mind for next time. I got a updated version of it, but I am running into a few problems. First, I patched a 36 circle to all 36 points at the end of the handle and now when I turn on shaded mode and move the camra I see some patches flicker. Why is this? And what would I need to do to fix it?

Thanks Guys

Paul

Btw those 2 black spots on the end of the handle are flickering patches just for an example...If I was to move the camra in another direction it would look normal.

post-7-1103684745.jpg

Edited by paulmcg1

I can't tell you why they do that - just that they do...... and now you can see why it's a good idea to reduce the splinage ;)

In your case try to reduce splines before you try to 'tie' them off. Extrude the end spline and scale - unlink every second spline and create a hook. Now extrude again and unlink every second one and create a hook. You should now be able to flatten the end ring in the X axis and try to form a perfect circle and reduce the circle scale to 1% (ie very small). Assuming no CP's overhang or cross you should get a smooth end. Remember to taper off the position of each spline ring to get a nice transition from one to the next.

Cheers

Hey guys,

I got further towards completing the model. I didn't make the end of the handle by your instructions higginsdj because I tried but when I added the hooks I then would see cracks in the model so I try to find another way, unless the cracks would of disapeared when you rendered it. Dont know if they would of but just thought of that now. Whatever the case is, I tweaked the grip of the handle and obviously added the back part of it. For the back part usually if you make the hole very small it will add creases comming from the center especially since I have alot of splines on such a little hole. Instead what I did was I beveled the little hole by shrinking the hole very small and then extruding the small ring of cp's. Then I just moved them inside the handle and scaled it wider and extruded a bit more for added bevel. Take a look: ExtrudeThenIntrude.jpg

Thanks everyone for looking.

Please leave your thoughts and comments and suggests, etc.

Thank you once again

Paul

post-7-1103704067.jpg

Paul,

It's looking good so far. I have no advice for you on the modeling since I am new at it too (About to post an update of my first model after this), but whenever things are looking strange in shaded mode, and I want to know if it's real or just the shaded real time render acting up, I hit the render mode button (or q on the keyboard) and can get a real render of most things pretty quick. That way I know if the problem is real or not.

I hope this helps some,

Mal

Don't worry. Shaded mode provides a rough guide only to your model. The 'cracks' created by hooks will disappear when properly rendered.

In any case the end looks fine - a moulded end style finish which is just fine for the type of model you are building.

Cheers

Other than as a modelling exercise, there's no good reason to make the metal shaft from a 36 cp cross section. It just generates wasted patches.

I'd suggest that you finish off the plastic handle with the fillet you already have. Then start the shaft with a 4 cp circular cross section that matches the 36 cp shape. If it's a driver for slot head screws, 4 cp's should be enough to finish the end. A Phillips driver end will require more than 4 cp's but likely less than 36.