Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Finally...ocean water...

I've created a rough animation of ocean water with slight modifications of Babbage's tuturial...No color or shading yet...it's for a CG/Real film movie I'm creating...

Water

Note: To view you must

Right Click on link>Click properties>Copy full address>Paste in address bar> and Go!

CRITIQUES PLEASE...EVEN IF CRUEL ;)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to my perception of ocean water, I think it's rather too ripply. But then I think it all depends on the wind and which part of the ocean that you working on...Outside my perception I think it's a great concept and believable looking water.

Hey may I know what slight modification that you did from the Babbage tut? Well, if it's a secret recipe you don't have to ;)

CRITIQUES PLEASE...EVEN IF CRUEL

Okay you asked for it....... :angry:

Only joking! :D

Looks convincing to me you've got the movement right. You could maybe play about with the colour, but that depends on the effect you want for your animation.

Great work.

Not big modifications, but as suggested by another thread I just literally moved the material (a new feature since 8.5) instead of adding a series of Targas or AVI movie as a decal..it makes the process twice as fast...what should the color be, as this wasn't explained at all in the tuturial? I want it as realistic as possible.. (it's for a movie I'm making called The Ocean It basically involves the US slowly sinking down because of the soaking of the Atlantic Ocean through weak layers of sediment under the US...

Looks very good to me.

My comments are pretty simple.

What you are looking at based on speed and size is a shot of average ocean (not the southern straits or anything super stormy) from several hundred yards away. Might cover about half the Titanic. In other words for close shots.. say canoes on the water.. this is more than enough ocean to create a realistic scene. Anything bigger and you'll need lots more water. You could scale the plane on the Y or increase the displacement and have a pretty good stormy sea.

What They mean by tileable is that you could replicate this plane if the waves rolled across the borders and appeared on the other side. This could be done by first making sure you are using images that tile (In photoshop you can use the offset filter to check this) If the images you use tile Then when you create the animation for displacement you'll want to make sure that the movement is one full length of the image. So that the wave ends where it started. Then your animation will tile. If you lay two plains side by side the waves will continue across them.

As far as color.. you could try several things, For some reason I wonder how Yves Skin shader would look on this (with the blood color set to a dark blue or greenish blue) Just a thought. Wavy ocean water is light bluish green at the peaks and dark blue in the trough.. You might be able to use your displacement for some crests as well.. ie add them as a spec highlight after some image manipulation .. or something to that effect.

Here are some that I made for reference in... well use them if you like them....(these are to help you with color references and scales, not to start a thread on how they were done or what they where done in so don't ask and apologies if necessary to the powers that be).

http://www.colins-loft.net/free/oceanShots/

here's a sample shot if you don't want to check out the others...

ocean1.jpg

Hope that helps. Looks great so far.. keep up the good work. :D

C

Gradients work well. But it has to do with diffuse falloff as well and gradients in the toon shader disable that. Maybe the gradient material would work. Perhaps something from Toonation if you are using an older version of AM. Not sure. A nested gradient material might work well but I've not had much success with materials versus toon gradients. If you do toon gradients.. I'd use toon with falloff. That will work best.

You could do that and map foam or whatever on the top. Toon gradients seem to disable the Color maps.. but you still get specular and ambient control which gives more color control to play with.

Hope that helps. I know its criptic.. but I think there are several ways to skin this cat.

C

One more thing I forgot to mention.

If you look at the images I posted.. You'll notice that lots of the color of the water comes from the reflection of the sky. But if you look close its not a true reflection, kind of like global illumination with a glancing reflection.

Ie if you have clouds in the sky and you crank up the reflection to get the color.. you'll also get the clouds, which could look good but probably would look bad. Soft reflections might help alot. Using an environment map wouldnt hurt either.. I studied the pictures I did and looked for interwave reflections. They where there but only at extreme angles. I'll look more into it and see if I figure something out.

C

This is an ocean material I used for "Miss Cast Away". There is a gradient combiner that changes the reflectivity based on the edge threshold. That would make a nice surface attribute. You could just delete the Attribute nodes that make the waves, since you already have that--or just copy the gradient attribute out of it. [the new Fresnal reflection feature, may make this type of technique obsolete...I haven't had a chance to experiment]

Ocean.mat