Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Racing Fuel System Animation

JHV

Here's a preliminary animation of a Fuel System Schematic for Fuel Injected race cars. It took a little over a day to create the models and render the animation. Text was composited in Vegas 5 and rendered to a Real Media file for space considerations. To have done this in another modeling package would have taken far longer in my opinion. I still have to work on the lighting and camera angles, but the ability to make and change things so quickly in A:M is a real bonus.

http://hre.com/jhvdigital/videoclips/hashforums1.rm

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice work, but for being a racing system, that set up seems archaic. There are much more advanced fue injection systems on the market don't you think? That looks like a set up from an old buick deisel. Or something you'd see on an old Mack. hmm.. off topic, yeh the camera is very fluid, and keep the background simple, good work.

Jim,

Very nice work.

I would like to see a representation of fuel flowing through the pipes and being diverted by the various valves. THis would make the function much clearer.

You could either use arrows showing flow direction or you could get fancy and make the pipes partially transparent with the fuel flowing along inside.

Just some suggestions. I like your elegant simplicity.

Brian

nice work, but for being a racing system, that set up seems archaic. There are much more advanced fue injection systems on the market don't you think? That looks like a set up from an old buick deisel. Or something you'd see on an old Mack. hmm.. off topic, yeh the camera is very fluid, and keep the background simple, good work.

As a matter of fact, the system IS an old one. It is a mechanical injection system that is used to this day on drag racing cars and boats. (No electronics at all). The system was developed in the late '40's, and survives to this day with very little modification. (Over the years, multiple pumps, nozzles etc. have been added). The animation is to help to explain the very basic system for someone contemplating switching from a carbureted application to an injected one.

I would very much like to include fuel flowing through the lines as it would be a tremendous help to visualize where and how the fuel gets to where it's supposed to be. I downloaded a project with blobbies and sprites, but I must confess, I haven't got a clue as to what is going on. If I could figure out how to get the blobbies or sprites to emanate from a particular direction, and be constrained to the inside of the fuel line, I'd be in 7th heaven.

I try to learn one new thing a day in A:M. So I'm trying to figure out the sprites and blobbies.

I'm not sure if I'm going to leave the background the way it is. For the moment, I'm trying to get my chor sorted out with the correct shots and timing. Once I get that nailed, I can make a decision as to whether or not to enhance the scene. (By then, I'll probably know how to do it! LOL!

Thank you for the encouragement and support.

Thanks John! I jsut seem to be unable to grasp how exactly to make the blobbies emit from anything. I made a small round flat model and applied the blobbie material to it, but nothing is coming out. I can't find any actual step by step information on using blobbies. I do find tutorials, but examining them leaves me just as confused as I was before! I'll keep trying, because I know that once I understand the process, I'll be kicking myself for not getting it sooner.

Make sure they are turned on .shift 8.they will show up easier if you drop the model in the chor and let some time elapse also if gravity is on they will flow down through the ground. I working on something else right now but if i need a break I might be able to put a tut together. Also in the back of my mind I might have another way to show the fuel moving but will test the idea before posting

also get this

ftp://ftp.hashmirror.com/pub/misc/sprites_tute/

good sprite tut

That was it! Shift 8 was the element that I was missing! Thank you so much! NO at least, I can experiment with the particles and see if I can get the effect to look convincing. I would most definitely look forward to a tutorial from you. I was ready to just do it all in AE and forget about the blobbies, but now I can say I "learned that one more thing" in A:M!

Thanks John.

I do have one other question on the subject. Is there a way to reduce the render hit? I'm not multipassing, and I'm rendering in Low quality (which is all that's necessary for the project), but I'm finding that the program is calling for nearly 3 hours render time for 5 seconds of animation. (That may be a realistic number, but I thought I'd check with those who know). Having the fuel flow for 20 seconds would cost me a 12 hour render (not in and of itself too costly, but if there is a way to reduce the time, I'd be very interested in knowing it)

Remarkable forums!

Was trying an idea for fuel with sprites but got side tracked. Just a thought will all the line be tranparent or wil some (the corners) be solid.

anyway this is what hapeens when you fiddle with sprites

http://johnl.inform.net/pages/whoops.htm

Oh just another thought how about a camera view of the system

sort of like this

http://johnl.inform.net/pages/tubular.htm

ps Ken I never said blobbie tut just how to have a emitter work.... :P

John:

I liked the sprites that DIDN'T blow up! ALso the hair animation was very interesting as well. You guys are way ahead of my learning curve right now, but at least I have some things to play with. I don't ahve a real tight time constraint on the project so I have some flexibility in getting the look that I want. I appreciate all your input and guidance.

ps Ken I never said blobbie tut just how to have a emitter work.... :P

Hey man it's up there in black and white....."now but if i need a break I might be able to put a tut together."

I'm just a plain 'ol word reader as opposed to a mind reader. ;):P

Material effector .mov was VERY interesting. It gave the insinuation of a liquid without the blobbiness of blobbies (think that's easy to say?). I would also assume that the render hit is minimal compared to using blobbies or sprites. As long as you can get people to understand what is happenning, then the animation will be successful. Could you point me in the right direction for that effect? Again, I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

its hard to point but I 'm sure there is stuff outthere I'll post my example as rough as it is but there are other ideas too..just have to get them together

another example of material effector is here

http://johnl.inform.net/pages/matteffect.htm

it was done originaly by Jeff Paries in 8.5 I just redid in 10

and is a great example

The materialeffector unfortunately effects everything it touches based on it's shape so this might present a problem

Hoepfully i'm not confusing you more than helping

anyone else have materialeffector info??

fuelmat.zip

From having NO idea as to how to create the effect I asked about yesterday to the short animation below this morning (sooner had it not been for the horrendous render hit! LOL). I finally clicked to the little tweaks. I still have a long way to go, but at least I have the basic understanding of how the system works. Thanks John and everyone else.

Now I have to work on the other alternatives that you've provided.

I've looped the 1/2 second so that you can see the effect more easily.

http://hre.com/jhvdigital/videoclips/pumpblob.rm

I zoomed in with the camera just to see if I had the general idea. The animation segment runs 7 seconds (it's still rendering since last night, 14 hours so far). The fuel pipe does have a curve in it, so if I can get the material to flow through the pipe and back to the tank, that would be a good thing.

Next issue that I have is timing. I'd like the blobbies to come on at a particular time in the chor (After the shut off handle gets to the half way point). I looked for a start/stop time, but couldn't find it for the blobbies. Is there a way to do that also?

From what I've been reading, I might BE better off with sprites. Evidentally, they don't create such a drain on resources when rendering. I'll try them as soon as I get more comfortable with the blobbies. (Gotta learn that 1 thing a day you know!)

Thasnk John:

The problem I'm having is that the program will not allow me to bring the material into the action. Drag & Drop doesn't work. I can create a new action and bring in the fuel injection model which has the blobbie material applied to it, but I can't isolate the material in the timeline or action at all. I have the window set up as you illustrated, but stil no luck.