Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rigging Advice Sought

Hey guys... I'm working on this superhero-type named 'CrimeBomb... I have modelled quite a rigging delemma.

Any advice on the best way to approach such a big-armed figure?

Any rigging gurus out there want to try their hand?

I'm sort of awaiting TSM2, learning what I can about fans and coggs and smartskins... thought I'd run it by the bunch of you, whom I highly regard.

THANX1,000,000

crimebomb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yowza. Well, you have to wonder what happens to his flesh when he lets his arms lay limp at his sides. Can you visualize what would happen? Right now his shape sorta reminds me of a kite -- rigid body with little legs hanging beneath.

I would give serious consideration to reworking his underarm region. If you can make the point layout more given to a hinge in shape (or a ball-joint, even better), I think you'll save yourself a lot of worry.

I really like the overall design, though. Great head! Also, check out the ARM if you want general advice about modeling for animation: http://www.lowrestv.com/arm

Good luck. :)

I also am working on a buff super-hero character. Very intavestink...

Anywho, as has already been mentioned, the underarms are a bit large. If you decide to leave him as he is, or even if you shrink his sides in a bit, his arms won't ever be able to lie flat against his side. Now, I'm not saying there is a problem with this. Just look at some of the really big body builders. In other words, I think his arms would probably rest at about a, oh, I dunno, 45º angle? 35º maybe?

I only say this (just incase you might hapen to not think of it/forget/whatever) so that you don't try to give him the same range of motion as a normal person. Just like I don't think his arms would be able to go any higher then they currently are.

But, I guess that doesn't nessisarily have any bearings on your question, does it... :unsure:

Well, the first thing you wanna do is watch cartoons with huge muscle guys and see what happens when they put their arms down. It can be done.

To get off on the right foot, you should lower CrimeBomb's arm bones until they almost sit on the skin at the bottom of his arms. Then he'll be able to pivot his arms down with a minimum of overlap. Of course, then he'll have trouble raising his arms above his head, but you can use shoulder bones to help with that.

As others have said, he won't have the same range of motion as a skinny character, but that's appropriate.

Good luck!

I think yo're probably looking at using cp weights or fan bones to get an approximation,with a lot of smartskin on top. I like your (non)sense of proportion :D

If he's going to grip things he needs longer fingers. and the chest comments are valid, my superhero models are less bulky than yours andI ran into issues with their shoulders B)

looks great

Well, my thought is that the large flaps under his arms are his back muscles (Deltoids I think?) All you would have to do is push them back a little so they connect behind the actual arms... this would keep your idea of way out deltoids and distinguish the shape of the arms where they are supposed to connect-- it's a back muscle so to show that it should be joining at the "back of the shoulder/arm".

Thanks guys...I'll address his arm proportions, but as you guessed they are over accented. I followed Ross's advice and went to the ARM and found 'Son of Pats' shoulder and hip tutorials very helpful...

http://free.hostdepartment.com/s/sonofpat/shoulders.html

I am currently fan-boning it to death. I'll fan bone a joint, run it thru TSM, make notes, adjust, over and over and over.

THANKS for the sage advice and pointing me to (hopefully) a solution.