Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Animation Resources

Rodney

• Admin

This discussion is designed to serve two purposes. First, to highlight some excellent resources, and second to point everyone to related 'breathing spaces'.

Breathing Space is the term I use for when you have been working at a project for a long time without taking a good break.

Ideally, that breathing space should be as far as possible from the task that you are trying to take a break away from. However, it isn't so far away that you stop working on the project. If you wander too far away... that's a vacation! For more than a few people that means the end of the show.

Move just far enough away to get a refreshed perspective on the task at hand. Take a breather... then head on back to work.

Note: This discussion is designed to add to New Users storehouse of knowledge and prepare them for success. Additions to this discussion should have at least some connection to the subject of animation however far that connection might be. When posting, if the connection doesn't seem obvious please state how it applies. Thanks!

http://www.sambuntrock.com/guy_like_me7_web.mov

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

To start out I want to point you to a site that shows a little of what goes into the preproduction of an animated series.

Klasky Csupo Animation Lessons

Some things to look for include:

- How do basic shapes aid in the effectiveness of character animation?

- What considerations are there for creating a character in correct porportion?

- What is a turnaround?

- What techniques can assist with the flow in a characters movement?

- What 2D On Model/Off Model pitfalls are present in 3D animation?

- What considerations must be taken for Storyboarding? For Lipsync?

- How can backgrounds be used to best effect?

- How do coloring and props fit into your plan?

Finally,

How can you apply what you've learned to your effort in Animation:Master?

• Admin

For a nice break from the technicalities of animating a good maxim arises...

"When in doubt, read."

There is an enormous amount of reading resources both classical and contemporary on the net. But for a short break... it may be best not to read 'War and Peace' in one sitting!

Much more appropriate to read a few of Aesop's Fables, or one or two of...

The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen

• Admin

Some folks become afraid at the mere mention of the word 'copyright'.

It's always a good idea to know something about the subject.

Brad Templeton has some copyright information on his site. Look there for

Information on copyright and more.

For anyone that doesn't know... Brad Templeton exists at the nexus of a variety of disciplines and interests.

Beyond Brad's connection to the DOT COM phenomenon, the Electronic Freedom Foundation, Burning Man, and more... His family is a source of interesting study as well. His mother was an actress. His father 'almost' out Billy Graham'd Billy Graham. One brother is a tax lawyer and yet another brother (Ty Templeton) is a 'famous' comic book artist! Wow.

It's easy to lose a few hours on this site. Beware! Set you watch for five minutes and plan to get back to work. Just look at the copyright stuff and get out okay?

• Admin

For those contemplating the creation of realistic humans, Gray's Anatomy is a good reference. Technical in nature, it may go a bit deeper than many people need but it really is an excellent resource.

I often have a strange urge to buy more copies each time I see a copy on the cheap in a bookstore. You can usually find one for around $5.99.

I have a copy in printed format but you'll be glad to know it is available online!

Gray's Anatomy - Illustrations and Text

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Drawing is a fundamental of 3D animation. Learn the art of drawing and you've made yourself a better animator.

As such, a must stop on the tour must be a study of Frank Frazetta's work.

Frazetta Anatomy Lessons

And of course the site itself:

www.frankfrazetta.com

(Thanks to Matt for the link)

• Admin

Here you'll find a link to a 'free' but unfinished book on animation.

The story behind why it's 'free' is for others to look into... but explains why the book won't be published and the online version is missing most of the graphics intended for publication.

Compiled by Steve Ressel who worked on "Invader Zim". The behind the scenes story of why the book is unfinished serves as a cautionary tale to those that want to go pro in the animation industry.

Personally, I think animation hasn't seen the last of Mr. Ressel.

Animation from Beginning to End - by Steve Ressel

• Admin

Good transition Steve!

Two links this time....

The primary one of interest: Modeling Sheets - Searching for them... Posting them, etc

This link is from another forum I just decided to join as I need to get back into drawing (2D-wise) to see some possiblity of improvement in my 3D efforts. We'll see how much time I have to devote there! Probably not much. There are definitely a few people that might make the transition to A:M some day hanging out at: The Drawing Board

Here's a place I visit daily for my breathing space. Sometimes i take way too much into my lungs.

Many of you probably already know about this site but there is a ton of short films featured there plus if you join the community you can take part in a plethora of discussions regarding the process of film creation. Anyway here's the link ...

AnimWatch

Enjoy !

Doug

• Admin

Nice one Doug!

I think it most fitting also that the image displayed when I went into AnimWatch was of Delgo (The Movie).

Brian Prince of Animation:Master fame is working on that one unless I'm mistaken! :)

• Admin

Now here is a real departure.

Great fun drawing what sells rather than what you may actually like to draw. Great fun for the kids too! If you can draw these the kids will flock to you. :)

How to design/draw those cute little creatures!

For the writer (and reader) in all of us there are online stories as well:

Online stories: Neopet Adventures of many types and varieties

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

It's been awhile...

This site is a good one for those contemplating the human figure in animation.

http://www.figuredrawings.com/

Remember... it's not work... it's research!

There is a lot of information there to include the bulk of Eadweard Muybridge's classic works. Some are in animated imagery (gifs) as well.

Warning... artistic nudity ahead.

Remember... it's not gawking... it's research! ;)

http://www.figuredrawings.com/Animation.html

• Admin

And since we are looking at some of Muybridges work...

Here are 196 GIF animations of Muybridges by Katarina Jerinic and Gary Drake

UCR / California Museum of Photography.

http://photo.ucr.edu/photographers/muybridge/

For those of you with popup blockers... the Gallery is shown in a popup window so do that Ctrl Click thing or whatever you do. ;)