sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Next on my list

Not quite complete but wanted to post what I had cause I think it is looking sweet. Need to finish the flintlock assemblyand some details around the ramrod. Also need to smooth out the top of the grip. There will be some detail added with bumps later on the very bottom of the grip as well as the trigger guard and flintlock base.

Comments please,

Wade

Edit: Pic got lost somehwere, I have posted new ones below.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Wade,

Impressive!

Looks just like a few real world recreations I've seen.

You've already go a lot of good detail. With texturing... It'll deserve a prominant place in a display case. :)

What plans do you have for it?

Basically done with the modelling stage. Now I get to play with textures, bumps, and other fun things I know very little about. I have put some test bumps on to see what is and is not going to work.

Comments,

Another pic to follow

Wade

post-7-1088478756.jpg

One more. I put it in a generic chor. 16 Pass to get rid of the ugly aliasing.

Last one till I get it textured or need help, whichever comes first. The multi pass also helped to clean up the bumps. I am not as displeased with them as I was in the original Model window single pass renders.

post-7-1088480781.jpg

Pretty. I like the amount of modeling detail without reliance on image mappery tricks. Seems well balanced.

One concern is the "noisy" bit on the undeside of the handle (whatever that's called on a gun- sigh word finding problems today). It doesn't read very well for me- will it be textured in a color that contrasts with the rest of the stock?

The underside of the handle thingy is a problem for me as well. I took an image of a celtic love knot and had to stretch and skew the crap out of it to get it to fit with 90% coverage. As a result it unbalanced in the fore and aft dimensions. It was getting late and I wanted to give it a day before I tackled stretching pics in Photoshop again. Not an easy thing to do. I definitely have to work on that part. There will still be some bump detail added to the side plate under the flintlock mechanism as well on the opposite side. The pic I am using as a reference has an EXTREME amount of detail. I don't want to get to that level but I need to a little more to make it fit the picture in my head.

Also, luckily this thing does not have to withstand any extreme close ups so I can get away with a little sloppiness in the bumps.

Thanks

Wade

The underside of the handle thingy is a problem for me as well. I took an image of a celtic love knot and had to stretch and skew the crap out of it to get it to fit with 90% coverage.

Silly you. :)

You have A:M and you can map it out on simple geometry then stretch, shrink, twist, skew, flip, scale, wrap, box, or anything else you can think of. Set the image ambience up if needed and render. Clip the screen or render out in the choreography. I have even applied it as an animatable alpha mask generator. Your imagination is the limit with A:M.

And to think that never occurred to me but it is so obvious now that you say it. I will be doing that tonight. :rolleyes: I do feel a bit gooberish at the moment. That idea will also come in to play as I bump the rest of the detail on the sides since the geometry is specific and using ready made scroll designs was causing me a lot of pre-decaling stress.

And then of course on to the main texturing. This simple model will be my first true attempt at getting accurate textures. Although not common during the 16th/17th centuries, I am going to use a tarnished silver or stainless finish on the metal. Brass and iron were much more common during that time period. However, one of the scenes requires the 'pistol butts a twinkle'. I am not personally fond of brass and iron will not 'twinkle' very well if it were true to the period. Blued steel is obviously out :). So i need something that I can get a good strong spec highlight from in a particular scene. The stock will be out of whetever wood material or decal I can find that works. Again, there is not a requirement for extreme close ups so I should not have to use procedurals even though this may be where I go due to lack of other abilities.

With a little fore thought you can accually model out the scrimshaw graving work in A:M. A:M can render very clean details that can easily be set colorwise to make excellent bump and displacement maps. You could actually model out the Celtic knot and render your bump detail.

Okay fixed the bottom of the pistol butt. Doesn't show in this pic but it is better. I have textured using Simbiont basics. Had to adjust some scaling but that was all.

I still have a long way to go on with regards to texturing but for now this one is done.

post-7-1088961777.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Spiffy weapon! I was actually trying to model something of that vintage a few days ago; wish i'd seen yours first.

Think how much lower the murder rate would be if people still had to load their own powder and adjust their own flints before every shot!