Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Building sets for 'the cuckoo'

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great start. :) I love the tree.

Be careful choosing a backdrop, though -- it would be really easy to make a backdrop that looks like a reverse projection. I gather that the one you have posted is much lower resolution than what you would end up with.

Keep us posted.

It's ok in a drop dead gorgeous sort of way. :)

I'm going to guess on the nest, Hair with modeled twigs mixed in.

It may be just the coloring but the front bottom of the nest seems to be embedded into the branch.

I know, I know, WIP.

Great stuff Shawn. I'm really, really looking forward to the movie.

Jack

Thanks for all the positive comments!

I did the nest using v11 hair (what a feature! So quick to set up). Up until the implementation of hair, I have been unsure about how to go about creating the nest. I made a few abortive attempts at modelling a nest, but the patch count became crazily high so I put it on the backburner while I did other stuff. Thankfully v11 hair appeared and has solved my problem.

A few twigs are sticking through the branch (I didn't pick that up until after the render) but its a relatively simple fix (just tweak the hair guides a little).

I basically used some bark textures to create an image of a stick, and stuck them straight into the hair material the nest appeared. It has a relatively low hair density also which is good, as the realtime play back is reasonably quick.

I'll continue to play with it, as a few leaves in the nest etc might improve it also.

Shaun

I did notice something the more I looked at it. The broken branch in front of the nest looks like it's not closed off or it has the same material as the branches. I think I it would look better with a different texture. And how did you do the texture for the tree, image map, materials or something else?

Hi Shaun!

That is good idea!

I think that will be a big help stuffs for the beginner animators ,as me too, if you think the storyboard or script plannig in here. :rolleyes:

I like cuckoo's nest on the tree, it's wonderfull! Great work, Shaun! :lol:

After that I ask you: How do you make this nest? :huh:

Yours sincerely, Sharky ;)