Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Droid - WIP

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Mike,

Not sure exactly what you are trying to model.... unless is is a droid type thing ;)

There are many resources available to A:M users.

For modeling... I would suggest downloading a 'free' model or two... or take one from your CD... and inspect it to see how it is built.

Start by modeling some basic things....

Lathing....

Extruding.....

The New Users Page has some very good places to get started...

• Admin

If you are having a artist block... I'd suggest doing a google search on "droid" or ' "robot" +image '. You will probably have to narrow the search even further to stem the flood of ideas.....

According to Hash Inc (and just about everybody else) Story is King!

Think about the story that your character will/may be involved in.

That usually will get the ideas flowing.

I can't really see with the lens flare, but if this is the thing on your display picture, it looks very cool. Maybe more like pills full of ball bearings than a robot, but who am I to judge? :lol:

Can you put up a screen capture from just the modelling window?

-Andrew

k, thanks, i just did a little drawing of what character i could do...

Yes, and "Alien Song" was just a little film...

You're illustration skills are very impressive (well, at least I'M impressed!).

If you're drawing skills are that good, it shouldn't be too hard to make the leap to 3D. If you've ever sculpted, AM kinda works the same way.

I'm looking forward to seeing this come along.

No, i hand-draw all my work, tracing's not in my vocabulary :D

I have to say I am a bit confused Mike D. Are you Shi Kai Wang in disguise?

the image you posted and the image attributed to Shi Kai Wang are absolutely identical in every aspect. Even in line variations. It is not traced at all. It is the same image with the artists name removed.

Are you him? Just curious. We will keep your secret identity quiet of course.

It could also be that there is some confusion on which image you are refering to. Your original render for this post, is that what your refering to as "not tracing"?

Just want to be clear. I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. But I also don't like to be fooled too much either.

Vernon "Naive trusting fool" Zehr

No, i am not Shi Kai Wang. And it was based on the original Master Chief for Project "Halo" that's why i'll and more too it, and take away some. and the reason it looks the same, is because we used to same program to make it. pretty simple design, actually. I dunno why they didn't use the original master cheif as opposed to the one they use in the game!

The gig is up already Mr. D. :D

It is the same image. Okay? You understand right? You understand that the 2 images are i-d-e-n-t-i c-a-l in every aspect?

Unless you have another story? I am willing to listen. I have the patience of Job. Tell us about this program you used.

p.s. You said "we" previously? Can you explain? Is this a team project?

I am not angry. Just curious.

Vern Z.

well just to be sure, that picture that i posted WAS done by Shi Kai Wang, i meant for it to be a concept art, when i said i made one like it, it was in photoshop at my school, that's where i came up with the design, and is also when i said i'd change it around a bit, sorry if i mislead anyone. I DID NOT MAKE THAT PICTURE, just to clarify ;)

Thank you for your admission. You were just digging yourself a bigger hole with this:

and the reason it looks the same, is because we used to same program to make it. pretty simple design, actually.

The facts are:

a ) software does not make the art. Just because I try and do work as good as Jim Talbot's ( :D ), and I'm using A:M doesn't mean it will look the same.

and

B ) The design is not simple! Not at all! It's an awesome, complex design.

Glad to see you came out clean.

Keep plugging away... I still want to eventually see how your "nova trooper" will turn out in A:M. Hell, if you're going to have an influence for your character it may as well be Master Chief. Good luck with modeling and there's plenty of help here at the forum if/when you need it.

sidenote: saw halo 2 movie on "XPlay" ... damn, it just cant get here soon enough!

• 4 months later...

Man, I wish I could get a rigged A:M Master Chief model... I do Halo machinima like Red vs. Blue (although I am not affiliated with them at all, to be clear) and there are some things that are really frustrating (i.e., impossible) to animate with the Halo engine. If I could get a posable A:M model, I could animate it in A:M and greenscreen it into other shots.

I managed to use Wings3D to pull in a 3DS Max model of the Master Chief, but it didn't import the textures or the bones of course. :( And since I'm a total klutz with A:M, I doubt seriously I could really rig and texture that version.

I kind of wonder if a competent A:M guru could use the imported 3DS model as a rotoscope and do a splined version over the polygons.

Actually, someone with The Setup Machine might be able to just drop a ready made skeleton into that model and then it would just be a matter of making materials.

I would really appreciate it if anyone actually has an A:M Master Chief, or would be willing to use their godlike powers to help me out with one. I'd certainly credit you in every video I used it in. If you can help, mail me at sevenar AT bellsouth D0T net. (maybe that will foil any lurking spambots...)

It's a freeware modeler, and one of the few that can output an Animation:Master .MDL file. I think the site is www.wings3d.com, but you can Google it for more precise info.

The latest version already has the A:M export built in, so you don't need the old plugin.

i tried importing the 3ds model of the master chief that was released, and it looks realy well where the decals are at the right location. im pretty sur you wont be able to rig it up tho, not without a shitload of cleaning first.