Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Physical Culture...

• Hash Fellow

My entry in yesterday's four-hour Animation Showdown. Our character had to do some sort of exercise.

Which is kind of awkward for animation since most exercises tend to be very symmetrical with lots of "twins." i considered doing a guy hitting a punching bag but decided against it because I thought doing the fast moving bag would be time consuming to get right. :angry:

So here's plan B, twins and all!

See it on my Showdown page.

(Note to Rodney: It's got a camera move this time! ;) )

BTW, there's lots of room for A:M animators at Digitalrendering.com's Animation Showdown. Why spend three months on a contest entry when you can do one in four hours? :D

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I like how you minutely varied the motions of the many exercisers. It's too easy to duplicate motion like that and make them look like mirror images.
Thanks! This was almost "too easy." The jumping jack is, I'm sure you guessed, an "action." After i had dropped it on everyone and set it to repeat several times I just had to pick a few guys at random and slide their action out of synch a frame or two. I probably could have done more with that, but I thought I'd just try it a little for starters.

4 hours! Does that include render time?
Yes. Usually I submit a hardware rendering to save time and then do a render later with better lighting to put on my page.

But in this case you're seeing the same render I submitted. I got the action done quick enough to experiment with the crowd idea, the camera and the lighting.

He's a low-patch character, with no procedural materials and only one small decal for his eyes, and the shadows are just klieg-light shadow mapped.

Also it's just a three-pass multi-pass render. Once these things get compressed to DivX it's not always apparent whether they've been anti-aliased or not. :lol:

All told about 20 minutes for the "final" quality render vs. maybe 4 for a "shaded" render.