Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Feedback on Wooden Dummy

Here is a newer render of a model I've been working on. It's still not quite finished. I still need to add a couple of beams to support the wooden dummy as well as the anchors of the posts and bolts for the frame.

Damn real life! It keeps getting in the way of me actually accomplishing anything.

Anyhow, I need some suggestions on what I need to do to improve on it. I'm going for a realistic look, but not photo-real, if you get my meaning.

Anyhow, here's the link.

http://homepage.mac.com/cluelessmorgan/.Pictures/Test.jpg

Also, which one looks better: The pine frame (1) or the red wood frame (2)?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn real life! It keeps getting in the way of me actually accomplishing anything.

Hear, hear!

This is to be a wooden practice dummy of sorts, right? I was expecting a mannequin or a marionette, so I was initially confused.

Looks like it's coming along fine. I like the color variety in pic 1. Also, I don't know if I'm right on this, but if it's the sort of wooden dummy martial artists or such practice with, some "scar tissue" may be in order down the road.

Rodney - The wooden dummy is going to be set dressing for the animated short I'm working on. The 'really needs to be updated' website can be found here:

http://www.tartpi.com

Ross - Yes, it's a martial arts practice dummy. Based on ones I saw here:

http://www.woodendummy.com

I'm uncertain if I have my proportions correct though. Though there will be a mannequin/maquette hanging on the wall next to it. I do plan on applying some grunge maps to it eventually, but just am really uncertain about the process of doing it.

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep 'em coming. :)

Very nice job! The geometry looks great, and so do the textures. Those lights make it look like it's on display in a museum, though.

Is it intended to move? It appears to be very firmly mounted to the wall. If that's the right idea, then well done. ;)

Yes, it does look like it is on display. But it's because of the way I have the room lit so I can see the way the it looks within it. The room will be much darker in the actual animation. To give you an idea of what it should look like here is another render without the fill lighting.

WDinOffice.jpg

The room is mostly furnished. Once I'm done with that, I'll just need to finish texturing, finishing the doors and windows and modeling and adding all the set dressing and props.