Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Distant Cousin of Thom?

Roger

• Hash Fellow

It was a start!

It took a long time for the programmers to realize what animators were processing internally and that merely morphing 2D lines wasn't going to get them much.

I guess Disney's "The Great Mouse Detective" was the first feature to use a CG assist, for some mechanical animation.

• Admin

I'm going to guess that guy is a direct relative of the generic Preston Blair character used in his animation books.

Unless I'm mistaken that is where Thom derives from as well and if so they definitely are related. :)

prestonblair.jpg

• Admin

This is the best copy I could quickly find online.

It's not too much of a stretch to think the character in the video was traced from the front view of the generic Preston Blair walk cycle (the first line on top of the attachment). The high step is the primary element that gives that source away.

Added: Image form the video for comparison (compare to image #4 in the sequence)

front and rear.jpg

ref.png

• ____ 1

robcat2075

The flute soundbite at the end—do you by any chance happen to know where it's from?

I guess Disney's "The Great Mouse Detective" was the first feature to use a CG assist, for some mechanical animation.

Yes, the tower clock sequence always struck me as 3D-rendered, but their shading was all over the place. You can see the paint shifting patterns in motion.

• Hash Fellow
The flute soundbite at the end—do you by any chance happen to know where it's from?

No, I can't name it.

Yes, the tower clock sequence always struck me as 3D-rendered, but their shading was all over the place. You can see the paint shifting patterns in motion.

My understanding was that they were printing ( or hand-tracing?) wireframe images onto animation paper and then continuing normally from there.