Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Reminder: Save often and save incrementally

Rodney

• Admin

Doh! I just had one of those painful reminders that we should save often and save with incremented filenames/numbers.

I had spend entirely too much time modeling a character when I thought to save the model.

All is well.

Then I began to adjust the color of groups in the model.

Everything working fine.

I'm really starting to like the progess of the model.

Then I accidentally enlarged a group and it took over another section of the mesh, giving it the wrong color.

A quick undo didn't work as anticipated and then I deleted the entire mesh except for the eyes.... Gah!

No problem... I can fix that.

Then...

My fat fingers and dull mind accidentally Control Saved the model... OVER THE TOP OF THE PREVIOUSLY SAVED MODEL!

GAHHHHHHHH!

Very not cool.

I should have saved again with a number appended to the filename. Then I'd still have my original.

Perhaps I should remodel this thing while the topology is still fresh in my mind.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I also like to append a brief description of the most recent change after the number so if my experiments go bad I can find the version before I did "fewer thumb splines" or something like that.

• Admin
A lesson that I have to re-learn at least once a quarter!

The take away for me appears to be that the program has not yet been created that can save me from myself. ;)

Although... technology is approaching that capability with versioning and such. But there is a trade off there as well.

In a world were everything is 'versioned' even those things you don't care to see return can be recalled to the present.

If and when we make a mistake it will always be there.

A small consolation: at least we (and others) will be able to learn from it.