Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

DigiCel Flipbook on Sale!

Roger

• *A:M User*

Anyone that is interested in having a 2D animation program, may want to check this link out:

http://digicel.net/SpecialOffer.htm

The Lite version is only $20 right now and the Studio version is $89.99. They are offering the educational discount to everyone, I'm not sure how long this will last, so if you're interested you better go grab it now.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• *A:M User*

BTW I felt it was reasonable to post this as it is a completely different animal than AM, and thought that people might want to take advantage if they also do 2D animation.

• Admin

Thanks for the heads up Roger.

I've used Digicel before but found the lite version a bit too restrictive.

I don't think I would recommend anything below the Studio release except for basic usage and/or trial purpose. (The lite version Is currently only $20 so well worth that however)

For those that want to get good at using Digicel Flipbook, Jason Ryan;s video tutorials (many of which are free) do an excellent job of running through operation of the software and as workflow that assists with creation of CG animation. Jason has a lot of useful previews related to his paid tutorials also.

• Admin

I have been thinking of reasons why I liked Digicel Flipbook and why I still on occasion still think it would be useful.
As for why I don't still have it installed... a bit of a long story... I once purchased the lite version and after moving to another computer needed to contact the folks at Digicel to get the authorization code to get the program working again. Long story short, I never got that code.

But the value to me was (and remains) that of being a tool to aid in establishment of timing. Jason Ryan (and others) get through the initial stage of blocking (pose to pose or straight ahead) very quickly and then simply adjust their timing. THIS above and beyond the other useful features of the program is where the value resides and some of this can translate well directly into workflow in A:M (for those that wish to forego the act of drawing).

People might want to check out a free program called "Pencil 2D Animation". It works with Windows 7 and it has a lot of potential for a free program, like onion skinning and variable playbacks.

I've downloaded and installed Pencil2D several times and am glad to see it is still being developed (with 20 branches even).

I must confess that I haven't used it much for a variety of reasons, the primary one being that I never got it shoehorned into my workflow.

Looks like its time to take a look at Pencil2D again.

Edit: In reinstalling Pencil2D several things come flooding back to mind on what I had previously hoped to use in the software. The primary one (exporting an xsheet) isn't yet implemented.

Another would be the ease of grabbing a set of keyframes and adjusting them in time. Perhaps someone can educate me but I'm only able to adjust one keyframe at a time.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I'm still searching for the optimum drawing program for animation.

I believe that in time... many years here... perhaps 10 or more? that program will very likely be A:M. So still need an interim solution.

Many companies and individuals are closing in on that presently. I'd try to list them all but it'd be a very long list! (perhaps that'd be the makings of yet another top 10 list)

As the topic is about Digicel Flipbook it should be worth noting that very little has changed with the program in years.

It found its niche and appears to be satisfied there. (I have heard rumors of an update but not more than that)

I got Digicel Flipbook many years ago and I remember that the people at Digicel were extremely gracious and helpful. What stuck out to me was that

they are passionate about the art of animation and not just making a sale.

Jason Ryan was a mentor with Animation mentor back when I was a student there. He was using flipbook to time and pre-viz all his stuff. He is a very

talented and known animator.

I story-reeled one of my short films with it, but it was a short film I never was able to produce. It's one of those in the vault.....waiting to be done... :)

The one thing about flipbook that I remember struggling with was that it needed a more clear process of turning layers on & off.