sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Digital convertor

Simon Edmondson

Does anyone know of any software that will convert digital info in one form and output it as sound digital ?

This may sound odd, it is, but what I'm wondering is, can digital info from a visual source be translated into sound ? I'm not a programmer so probably talking out of my hat but, on the surface at least, it would seem that digital info, 1's and 0's, are the same, whatever the source (?, ) what makes it audible or visual is the software that translates it ? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Remembered an old idea this morning.
Norman McLaren developed an approach were he drew directly onto film stock and scratched onto the magnetic strip at the side to generate sound. It should be possible to do something similar using contemporary digital technology.

If you scan a drawing and convert it into digital information that information could be translated into digital sound. By animating the drawings over time the sounds would move and change accordingly. It might be a direct correspondence and would depend on how the conversion parameters were set.

If an A4 sheet of paper had a series of marks across it, for example a Sol leWitt or Bridget Riley drawing, it might be possible to set up a system whereby each line of a scan equated to a frequency range, eg 0-100hz. If a mark occurred along the line it would equate to a particular frequency within that range eh 80 hz, if several it would be polyphony ( may not be harmonious though ! ).The next line might be 101-200 hz and the frawing at 110hz...

As the scan moved over the surface the same process could be used so that the complete page generates an overall sound. Successive pages would progress the sound as the animation evolved, syncing directly to the marks on the page. Initially Black and white would be needed, until the process was refined enough to work but, once that was established, it may be possible to use colour in the same way.

Questions
Would visual pattern equate to aural pattern ?
Could text be used, the equivalent of concrete poetry perhaps ?
Fingerprints ?
If it works one way, visual to sound, could it work the other way , sound to visual ?

This is just musings on my part I am happy for it to be shot down.

Any feedback very welcome

simon

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Audacity can import "Raw Data"

You have to make some choices about how to interpret the data like 16-bit vs 24 bit or mono vs. stereo

Occassionally it is possible to find the audio data within a larger chunk of program data that way.

Robert

Thank you.

Some friends sent me links to other programs that will convert image into sound directly ( spontainious synathesia ! ). I was wondering if, like the McLaren films, it was possible to generate the sound as you animated?

The answer appears to be yes, but with quite a few things to consider at the same time...

regards

simon