Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to convert files to STL format for 3-D Printer (v13)

simpleyork

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to A:M, SimpleYork!

I guess you already know that current versions of A:M have the STL exporter but for some reason don't want to upgrade but that's not going to stop me from suggesting it. B)

Perhaps one of our other STL fans can suggest a 3rd party OBJ to STL converter so you could use v13's OBj export.

However even if you do that you're still missing out on v18's higher res polygon export.

Typically an issue with AM models is closing the surfaces, usually this is a big problem but as software advances it becomes less of an issue.

Definitely upgrade to the newest if you can. AM has come a long way.

The particular software I use that came with my 3d printer can red in obj files as well as stl and it has what so far is a superb repair tool which will close and correct faces.

As a quick test I made 2 primitives from AM, a cube and sphere, usually spheres and lathe objects don't close or have caps. Usually cp's are just set close to make it look closed. The repair tool was able to fix this with a simple click on import.

If anyone has a file that had issues I wouldn't mind running it through the software to see how much it can repair. Wasn't too long ago fixing faces was a major headache.

closed surfaces.JPG

If the printer can't handle an obj file direct you can always get a converter such as Meshlabs. Here is a pic of an obj I exported from AM and imported into my 3d printer software along with an stl I made from the obj that I converted in Meshlabs. Orientation and models are both perfect.

Capture.JPG