Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

After first render crash, that prj file won't render.

Tsenz

I am having strange encounter, my prj is made in version 13, the prj won't render in ver 18b so I create a new prj and import the models but it still crash when I render to file in avi or png, screen render is fine.

Things made in the new version render without problem, what have I missed in these few years?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Hi Philip!

I am having strange encounter, my prj is made in version 13, the prj won't render in ver 18b so I create a new prj and import the models but it still crash when I render to file in avi or png, screen render is fine.

Things made in the new version render without problem, what have I missed in these few years?

I'm not sure what is going on in your case because without something to test against there are too many variables.

Just in case you aren't doing this... here's a simple way to reduce those variations:

Immediately after opening an older project (model, action, etc) in a current release it is good practice to save the file again.

Under a new name of course as you don't want to overwrite the original.

What this does is update all the various bits and bytes that have been optimized or changed.

It would be good to resolve what is happening in your specific case of course but you may not have the time or inclination to resolve problems that technically no longer exist.

Projects from v13 should have no problem rendering in v18.

So the first things I would do after opening the v13 project in v18 would be to save it back out again under a new name (example: 'thisoldproject(v18update).prj)

If that doesn't get it to render then at least it narrows down the possibilities to more specific areas.

• Hash Fellow

If you want to send me the v13 PRJ in a PM I'll look at it.

It will need to have everything embedded.

One quick way to find out what is causing a render crash is to delete stuff until it doesn't crash anymore.

Hey Rodney, Long time since my last visit. I can't login with may previous username because of the old email is with different telco. Shift click is what I remember of you, I forgot what function it was you told me. :lol:

I've tried save embed cho, import the mdl to a new object, delete the action, I guess its the model or its pose relationships.

• Admin
Have you watched the Quickstart on Rendering? It shows how to choose "Full Frames (uncompressed)" for the AVI codec. Try that setting.

This sounds like a winner to me.

Although I would think it would crash on every attempt... not just on v13 files...

I'll add (and Robert's video suggests this) not to render out to AVI or MOV but rather to a sequence of images.

This saves so much trouble in the end (i.e. what if the power goes out while rendering? What if you need to rerender 3 frames of the 5242 frame sequence? What if you want to remove frames (easily) without rerendering? etc. etc. etc)

It's generally very good practice to render out to individual frames and then zap them into the final video format via A:M or any available software tool optimized for converting images to video.

An added benefit... you can remove this unnecessarily wasted time from your workflow by shifting it well outside the area of immediate concern.

And perhaps best of all you can even automate it.

In Robert's video he demonstrates the easy way to convert a sequence of images to MOV or AVI and it takes a lot less time than rerendering.

There are a few things to watch out for of course (i.e. frames in the sequence of differing resolution or missing frames within a sequence (that'll stop the process immediately).

For what it is worth I will suggest that unless targeting the web for display of images the PNG format should be avoided as well.

I realize I might have to defend this position and am more than willing to do that for those interested.

For heavy lifting with images that need to have any transparency I would recommend Targa and EXR... Targa being the old standby that rarely fails and EXR being the most modern image format available.

If those images are needed for use on the internet then they can easily be converted as well.

• Admin
I can't login with may previous username because of the old email is with different telco.

I'll look into that and see if I can remedy that.

Shift click is what I remember of you, I forgot what function it was you told me.

I've forgotten as well!

Now you've got me curious. ;)

• Admin

Sorry to go off topic on you Philip but...

I can put your current email address into your old profile if you wish.

In order to do that though we'll have to change your new profile's email to something else (even if only temporarily)

Feel free to email me at: rodney.baker@gmail.com if you have any concerns with forum login, etc.

*You actually have two profiles named Philip Fong. Once was only used twice. ;)

I assume you'd want to use the one you've had since 21-February 04.

Is this about rendering to AVI?

Have you watched the Quickstart on Rendering? It shows how to choose "Full Frames (uncompressed)" for the AVI codec. Try that setting.

Yes, did that.

If you want to send me the v13 PRJ in a PM I'll look at it.

It will need to have everything embedded.

One quick way to find out what is causing a render crash is to delete stuff until it doesn't crash anymore.

Strange, after one render crash, it crash on every prj, even newly created.

This sounds like a winner to me.

Although I would think it would crash on every attempt... not just on v13 files...

I'll add (and Robert's video suggests this) not to render out to AVI or MOV but rather to a sequence of images.

This saves so much trouble in the end (i.e. what if the power goes out while rendering? What if you need to rerender 3 frames of the 5242 frame sequence? What if you want to remove frames (easily) without rerendering? etc. etc. etc)

It's generally very good practice to render out to individual frames and then zap them into the final video format via A:M or any available software tool optimized for converting images to video.

An added benefit... you can remove this unnecessarily wasted time from your workflow by shifting it well outside the area of immediate concern.

And perhaps best of all you can even automate it.

In Robert's video he demonstrates the easy way to convert a sequence of images to MOV or AVI and it takes a lot less time than rerendering.

There are a few things to watch out for of course (i.e. frames in the sequence of differing resolution or missing frames within a sequence (that'll stop the process immediately).

For what it is worth I will suggest that unless targeting the web for display of images the PNG format should be avoided as well.

I realize I might have to defend this position and am more than willing to do that for those interested.

For heavy lifting with images that need to have any transparency I would recommend Targa and EXR... Targa being the old standby that rarely fails and EXR being the most modern image format available.

If those images are needed for use on the internet then they can easily be converted as well.

I use tga in final render but need avi for quick test and email, work distributed at different locations.

Sorry to go off topic on you Philip but...

I can put your current email address into your old profile if you wish.

In order to do that though we'll have to change your new profile's email to something else (even if only temporarily)

Feel free to email me at: rodney.baker@gmail.com if you have any concerns with forum login, etc.

*You actually have two profiles named Philip Fong. Once was only used twice. ;)

I assume you'd want to use the one you've had since 21-February 04.

Yes, I think that is me since 2004 if you can resurrect it, will send you an email, I don't know who else use A:M in my country, now I am helping a team to do toon render, they use Flash. :unsure::blink::P

My guess is that there is something damaged about the file but it's hard to know without trying it.

I thought so but no, I try render simple things and crash when I click ok regardless of file type. I reinstalled (uncheck don't install...) and the netrender worked fine but render to file still fail.

The abnormal things are; part of the ver.13 model's spline continuity is broken (creased), pose relationship slider with min & max setting appear to have only 0 to 100 but it re-appear after I click setting and the lost negative value came back.

I have included the test file.

toon_test.prj

I loaded that PRJ in v18, went to render to file, used this preset

Preset.pre

and hit OK and it rendered fine. PNG worked also.

post-544-1395766016_thumb.jpg

Netrender the prj is fine but not render to file as avi in A:M which is what I used to do, I now use the preview render but wonder if it is reliable to identify defects. We are not going to use preset because what ever amendment / editing done with the dedicated rendering PC or by me at different location is the final prj otherwise will create multiple redundant files.

I loaded that PRJ in v18, went to render to file, used this preset

Preset.pre

and hit OK and it rendered fine. PNG worked also.

post-544-1395766016_thumb.jpg

Same here... what does your master.log say?

Which operation system are you using?

See you

*Fuchur*

I don't know where is the log, it just crash when I click "OK" with a windows7 prompt to close the program.

post-13656-1395777909_thumb.png

• Hash Fellow

the master.log will be in the same folder as A:M

We are not going to use preset because what ever amendment / editing done with the dedicated rendering PC or by me at different location is the final prj otherwise will create multiple redundant files.

I don't know what you mean by this. A preset just saves all the render settings. It doesn't affect any animation or models.

the master.log will be in the same folder as A:M

We are not going to use preset because what ever amendment / editing done with the dedicated rendering PC or by me at different location is the final prj otherwise will create multiple redundant files.

I don't know what you mean by this. A preset just saves all the render settings. It doesn't affect any animation or models.

I've installed 32bit and it render fine.

Here is why the work flow and issue we are facing:

It simply troublesome when dealing with a lot of animation segment and file tracking issue in a production team who are not professionals, let alone new to a:M. Toon rendering shadow can be awkward at some lighting angle, hence a light is attached to the model instead of choreography lighting to achieve Anime standard.

Each prj are slightly different in light / render setting, also, we will do sound and composite to post effects all in A:M, so only one prj is used with everything I need not having to bother about presets that complicate the tracking process.