Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

interchanging functions between Models in a Chore

detbear

Hey everyone,

I have a choreography question for you guys.

If you have 2 different models in a Choreography, can you attach a CP in the first model(model A)to a bone in the other model(model B)?

So that the bone in model B can move the CP in model A.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
Hey everyone,

I have a choreography question for you guys.

If you have 2 different models in a Choreography, can you attach a CP in the first model(model A)to a bone in the other model(model B)?

So that the bone in model B can move the CP in model A.

Not directly, no. A CP can only be attached to a bone in its own model.

However you can attach the CP to a bone in its own model and then constrain that bone to the bone in the other model that you wanted to attach it to.

Make the bone for the CP a child of the bone that the CP would normally have been attached to.

In this PRJ the the cylinder moves all its CPS around normally until the sphere comes over. Then the bone in the cylinder that one CP is attached to gets constrained to the sphere and the sphere appears to carry off that one CP.

ConstrainACP.prj

• Admin

Depending on your setup you might also be able to export your multiple models from a Chor (creating a new model with combined mesh and bones).

Then with the new model you'll be free to assign bones to any mesh you want.

The biggest problem I've had in that arena is with same-name bones which A:M now at least attempts to rename.

Edit: My memory says that most constraints don't make the transition out of a Chor back to a Model... I assume it is because Models do not in and of themselves contain Actions or Constraints.

So with this in mind one could create multiple models, combine them in a Chor, export them out as a new model and then apply new contraints, actions to that combined model in a New Chor.

Hope that makes sense.

• Hash Fellow
Edit: My memory says that most constraints don't make the transition out of a Chor back to a Model...

I'll note that constraints that appear to be broken in a model exported from a chor can be repaired with a search and replace in a text editor.

I recall the problem is that bones retain their original name, but the constraint targets have a new path that includes the name of the model. A quick S&R can fix that target path.