Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

moving eyeball with the eye material

fae_alba

Since I am having trouble with decals and v18 on my laptop, and I am working on a new cartoon-ish fish model, I decided to create his eyes with the eyeball material. I had an eyeball model with the material already applied that I imported into the fish model, but of course i needed to move the eyeball and rotate it a bit so it would fit the model. What I discovered is that the material also needed to be translated and rotated as well. My question is when I animate the eye, what is the best way to get the material to move along with it?

fish.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

the material should stick to the patches it is applied to. The exception is is you have property Global Axis ON.

OFF is the default and that's what you want for a case like this.

Check it in the properties of both the material and the shortcut to the material in the model.

I'd suggest going with a decal none-the-less since you can't see a material in real time.

• Hash Fellow

I just got out the atual eyeball material and dropped iton a ball and it does move with the mesh when I turn the ball.

Is it possible the mesh the material is on is not actually connected to the bone you are turning?

Well, it seems to work in a chor. The eyeball model I imported had a series of bones on it that were out of position, fixed that. In the chor if I rotate the position bone the material moves as it should. But in the modeling window after importing the eyeball model, and positioning it, I had to adjust the material as well.

eyetest.mov

I would think the easiest and most common way to rig the eyes is with a bone(s) based at the center of each eyeball and pointing out towards the iris. The bones will eventually be children of the head bone from your rig. Also add a null and name it 'eyes aim at' and place it at 0 on the Y axis out in front of the head. Make a new pose(on/off) call it 'eyes aim at null' and add the 'aim at' constraint to each eye with the null as target. Eventually, when you rig the character you will most-likely have a 'constraints' pose where you can set the eye pose to ON. Then, animating both eyes is as easy as keyframing the position of the null...