sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Most compatible version of Windows for AM?

Roger

• *A:M User*

I've heard that Vista is not best for using with AM, although I haven't run into any problems with it (although I haven't been using AM heavily recently, either) and haven't used it on Vista in a while.

I have a Win 7 laptop that is my primary AM machine, and I have some graphical glitches on that sytem that are either due to the Nvidia Quadro card or due to the integrated intel HD graphics (or the fact that it is switchable via something called Optimus. I haven't been able to figure out what is causing the problem yet.

I've been thinking of either picking up Win 7 Ultimate to upgrade the Vista box, but I haven't seen anything beyond service pack 1 from MS and my concern is Win 7 is going to be an orphan product due to Win 8. I am not sure I want to purchase Win 8, I don't care for the interface and I don't see it being adopted where I work, so there really isn't a benefit to me picking it up beyond a potentially extended lifespan.

I would honestly rather just run AM in a Win 2k virtual machine and just use Linux, but it seems like that is introducing unnecessary complications.

What would you go with? Win 7 or Win 8?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I would honestly rather just run AM in a Win 2k virtual machine and just use Linux, but it seems like that is introducing unnecessary complications.

Win 2K is definitely no longer supported for A:M. It won't run.

• *A:M User*

So of the two operating systems, are there any known issues with AM under Win 8? I admit I'm more comfortable with Win 7, although I can't imagine there is a huge difference other than the Metro interface.

• Hash Fellow

7 is fine for me. I would presume 8 benefits from the improvements like faster boot and perhaps improved multi tasking.

Mark Largent got 8 to run on his Intel Mac and reported being happy with it.

I presume the actual operation of A:M on either is very similar.

I've heard that Vista is not best for using with AM, although I haven't run into any problems with it (although I haven't been using AM heavily recently, either) and haven't used it on Vista in a while.

I have a Win 7 laptop that is my primary AM machine, and I have some graphical glitches on that sytem that are either due to the Nvidia Quadro card or due to the integrated intel HD graphics (or the fact that it is switchable via something called Optimus. I haven't been able to figure out what is causing the problem yet.

I've been thinking of either picking up Win 7 Ultimate to upgrade the Vista box, but I haven't seen anything beyond service pack 1 from MS and my concern is Win 7 is going to be an orphan product due to Win 8. I am not sure I want to purchase Win 8, I don't care for the interface and I don't see it being adopted where I work, so there really isn't a benefit to me picking it up beyond a potentially extended lifespan.

What would you go with? Win 7 or Win 8?

Win7 will very likely stay for a while... XP has only recently been dropped (or better will be dropped next year) and has been introduced 2001. That means that XP has been supported for about 12 - 13 years. Since then there was Windows Vista and Windows 7 which means that if it is the same with Windows 7 there needs to be Windows 10 before it is dropped OR if we go for the years it should last for many more years (Windows 7 was introduced 2009 + 12 years > 2021. I think you are quite save with Windows 7. When it is dropped your computer will be that old that you want to get a new one anyway.

In addition, Windows 7 is one of the best OSes I have used and A:M runs well on it (v17 and especially v18 since v18 introduced new display drivers).

See you

*Fuchur*