sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Missing faces

Tore

This model was sculpted and retopoed in 3DCoat and then exported as an .obj. Then imported into A:M. In the last step several faces across the object disappeared. First I thought "flipped normals", but this does not seem to be the case.

I have looked at the object in both Blender and Messiah Studio, and here everything seems okay.

Anybody have an idea on whats going on? And off course how to repair, without destroying the underlying UVs of the object?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

I believe the basic problem is that some of the splines that run the long ways of the blob are really all the same spline looping around and around with the result that some of those 4-pointers are made from one spline on all sides, which will not fill in.

This would never happen in a typical A:M model because we'd probably make a shape like this from a lathed object where all the splines end at the poles and don't merge into each other.

Load this

facelossB.mdl

And break the spline that runs between the two CPs in Group "Point". When that spline is broken many of the empty 4-pointers will fill in. :yay:

If you reattach that spline, the patches will empty again. :angry:

Load FaceLossC and find the Group "Make Hook Here" shown in the top window...

facelossC.mdl

BadDeadEnd.JPG

Break the spline I've marked in Red.

Separate and reattach the two spline ends I've marked in Blue.

re-extend the Red spline with the Y key and attach it as a proper hook in the middle of the joined blue splines.

It should look like what is circled in black in the bottom window.

that will make all the 4-pointers fill in. :yay:

Early versions of 3d Coat used to have an option to export "Quad Only". For some reason they eliminated that option on the new versions. There is an option for dense quad export of voxels but I don't think that would import nicely into AM since the files would be huge.

I still have no luck with the Troer converter so what I have been doing is exporting out an stl file and tracing it off in AM. This is just a little less work than using the retopo tool in 3d coat and creating an obj.

As I think Fuchur described you make your model in AM, decal it and export an obj as a reference model that you bring into 3d Coat to paint on and in AM you simply update the textures.

AM decals become the used uv sets and textures within 3d Coat.

I never understood how difficult it might be to be able to import and export just the uv data so long as the unit scale is the same and uv's are tagged to either cp (mdl) or vertex (poly model) based on world location x,y,z. I thought this would be the most portable way of texturing and uv mapping between AM and other programs.

Fantastic how you pinpoint the problems and finds a solution right on the spot, Rob! Thanks!

Unfortunately the breaking/assembling of the splines does mess up the uvs of the model, so I guess the best solution for me is to just keep modeling, uv’ing and texture painting within Animation Master and 3D Painter. The lesson is: splines doesn’t mix well with the outside world!

And as you mention, Ken, with A:M’s rather exotic approach to uv mapping, the steps involved in moving back and forth between different apps, becomes to unfluent for my way of working and my temperament…unfortunately.

One can just hope that some day someone at Pilgway or Pixologic will write an importer/exporter for A:M.

• Hash Fellow

Does changing that spline make all the other patches lose their texture?

Is it possible to edit the topology in the polygon app before exporting so that it doesn't present splines that run around the model so many times?

For static models, objects that are just eye candy in the scene, the props work fine. I would just texture the obj's and bring them in directly. You can break a poly object up by groups externally and rig it with constraints to animate it. Works pretty good with mechanical models. Keep in mind the shapes all come in the same spot and don't have world coordinates so you have to position them.

I make quite a few models in MOI 3d and render them out in AM