Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Character [Dave Chappelle]

here is my progress on my new character so far. i am trying to enter the cgtalk modelling competition and also work my way thru jason osipa's book "stop staring". i can't wait to do some facial animation, but at this rate his head won't be done for another week or so(if time permits). let me know what you guys think so far and i will keep updating as much as i can. thanks in advance.

mychappelle.jpg

-kungfudork

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the quick replies everyone! i'm still not quite pleased with the side view...i don't feel it expresses the same type of character as the front. i need to find some side references of dave chappelle.... currently i just guestimated what i thought it might be. anyway here is the side:

mychappelleSIDE.jpg

-kungfudork

here is a little more progress. only a short time left for the contest, i hope i can finish up. i have tweaked the left side of the face and need to copy/flip/attach one more time....that is why the sides don't match. any comments welcome. thanks in advance!

DaveProgress0326.jpg

DaveProgressSide0326.jpg

-kungfudork

thanks mike. i chose dave because i want to work on my animation (non)skillz. i figured there is alot of funny stuff available(i just got the 1st season dvd) and i could even use the base model to make some other characters....like his rick james.....and i can't wait to do the crackhead (white lips and scratching his neck all the time......gonna be difficult but will be funny if i can pull it off).

-dieter

Any updates?

I've been watching this thread and am very interested to see some progress. That really looks like Dave Chappelle. One of my other favorite characters is the Ted Koppel Character from the Rampage video. I guess I like characatures.

rampage25.jpg

thanks emailtim. i have run into a small problem since i have been using v11 beta to work on this model. currently i need to copy the left side of the face, then paste it, delete the old head, and then do a copy/flip/attach.....but currently the copy crashes the beta and it will be fixed in the next beta release, i am hoping that comes before the contest deadline i have this character in. i might just start to adjust the right side of the face by hand and shoot for the deadline. anyway, i am excited about this character...it is turning out to be the best model i've done so far....i am really getting anxious to rig him and get his facial rig done. i hope to have some updates soon!

-dieter

This is a really fine face mesh Kungfu! A great combination of character and realtively low spline weight. The only suggestion I'd make, comparing your model to the photo, is the jaw - it seems a tad thin in your version. I only say this because it'll effect how much movement you can get out of his bottom lips.

However, this is really great stuff!

Zaryin sorry to hear you are sick....there doesn't to seem too many people in this round. hopefully you'll be up to the next one.

Parlo i'm glad you like it. thanks for the suggestion....now that you mention he does need some more chin so his lower lip won't be so limited. i am gonna work on that.

currently i am working on adding detail to the nose. here is the lates render:

DaveShaded1.jpg

thanks everyone. deadline is coming quick! gonna tweek the face a bit and then start rigging the face....1st go round i am gonna go with the jason osipa simple setup. hopefully i can get a quick setup to just play around and when i get more time i wanna do the advanced setup.