Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Model "disappeared" after power failure

cribbidaj

I was saving a newly rigged model in A:M v15j+ on my Mac running OS 10.4.11 when the power to my computer was disrupted during the save. Now, when I try to open the model in A:M it's properties (bones, groups, etc.) are listed in the workspace window, but the model itself, and it's name, do not appear (see attach picture). The model is still listed in the folder in which I saved it, showing a file size of 553k, but it won't "appear" in A:M. I do have a "pre-rigged", "pre-copy-flip-attached" model saved under a different name, but I'd like to know if there is a way to access the rigged model again before beginning the rigging work all over again. Thanks.

Picture_1.png

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure what may have happen but the mdl file is a text file if you look at it and compare to another mdl file it could possibly be fixed...or it was possible in earlier versions of AM

Please let me know possible procedure(s) to fix. The file is listed as a .mdl file in the folder, so . . . Thanks!

Here they are. One being thecorrupted rigged model, the other half of same model "pre-copy-flipped" and without bones or rigging. Thanks for looking into this.

I f you want to send me the two versions of the .mdl file I can look at it.

You can attach them in a private message if you don't want to post them here.

Junkman_full_02.mdl

Junkman07.mdl

• Hash Fellow

The first thing i did was compare the beginnings and ends of the two files.

The beginnings looked fairly similar but the ends were very different

Junkman07.mdl (the older file) ends normally with a tag, but Junkman_full_02.mdl (the new model) doesn't get that far. It looks like it died halfway through writing a tag:

JunkText.JPG

I copied the missing text from the first file and pasted it onto the end of the second file.

Try this. It looks like it loads OK. I didn't test it beyond that.

Junkman_full_02x.mdl

We're lucky that it died at the very end of the file and that only basic housekeeping info was lost.

And we are lucky that A:M stores its files in human-readable text so that this sort of repair is easy to do!

The first thing i did was compare the beginnings and ends of the two files.

The beginnings looked fairly similar but the ends were very different

Junkman07.mdl (the older file) ends normally with a tag, but Junkman_full_02.mdl (the new model) doesn't get that far. It looks like it died halfway through writing a tag:

JunkText.JPG

I copied the missing text from the first file and pasted it onto the end of the second file.

Try this. It looks like it loads OK. I didn't test it beyond that.

Junkman_full_02x.mdl

We're lucky that it died at the very end of the file and that only basic housekeeping info was lost.

And we are lucky that A:M stores its files in human-readable text so that this sort of repair is easy to do!

That's it! Wow! So, do you just open the two files in a text editor and edit from there? I've never done this.

And yes, very grateful that A:M stores its files in human-readable text.

Thanks so much. This alleviates the dread of starting several hours of work all over again immediately after completing it the first time. Not quite "Sisyphean", but an undesirable task all the same.

You rock!

• Hash Fellow
That's it! Wow! So, do you just open the two files in a text editor and edit from there?

Yes. After you've looked at enough of them you start to recognize when something is seriously malformed. It helps to have one that works and one that doesn't so you can compare.