sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

html5 videoplayer

jakerupert

As for the videoplayability......

(It should be a nogo, that I canot watch the Videos on this Forum on my i-pad!!!)

...I found a great new tool a html5 videoplayer:

http://html5box.com/

Ist free and under GNU Licence and really, really easy to implement on your Websites.

I just installed it and you can watch it in Action on my Website.

No more compatibilityproblems!

Fantastic

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why exactly do you need a videoplayer at all? HTML5 will provide a simple video player on the fly in modern browsers.

The problem is, that the files need to be encoded h264 and provided in container fomart mp4 (or webm but mp4 is okay for all major browsers today) and not Quicktime Animation or anything else.

Technically spoken but not really relevant if you are not trying to validate the page: the forum is xhtml 1.0 (which is compatible to html4-standard (one of the best available but still html4).

Lets do a test: Can you play the attached file on your ipad?

See you

*Fuchur*

tutorial_farbposen_14_1337947264.mp4

No, i cannot.

But I can play all the videos on my website without a problem.....

Anyway it is still the same problem: You need to convert the videos to this:

"Supports images, Flash, YouTube, Vimeo, mp4, m4v, flv, ogg, ogv and webm videos".

Many or most of the videos in this forum are other formats AND you need to include it for any video to be played here, which is, since these uploads are originally meant to be downloaded at least hard to do... it may even include recoding the forum-software to a certain amount.

Isn't there VLC for iPad or something like that available? At least at my Android Tablet and Phone I can play close to anything with that including the videos on this forum.

Found it: VLC for iOS

See you

*Fuchur*

I have vlc also, but its no solution.

I just want to click on the video and see it , not dabbling around, download something, searching a player, not practicable.

Seems to me the formatsupport of html5 box is good enough.

If not suited here for this forum, i recommend it for ones propriate websites.

Then really every potential client will be able to watch your content.

I have vlc also, but its no solution.

I just want to click on the video and see it , not dabbling around, download something, searching a player, not practicable.

Seems to me the formatsupport of html5 box is good enough.

If not suited here for this forum, i recommend it for ones propriate websites.

Then really every potential client will be able to watch your content.

Strange, but if you are talking about the movies on the website itself I do see why this is happening. These are actually swf-files. (I reused them and the player because I did not have the source-files of them...)

I'll ask Jason if he has got better data for converting these to mp4. If I can, I'll change these and the player. (at least to native html5-playback, maybe to JWPlayer or your player, we will see)

Thanks for the heads up on that topic. :)

See you

*Fuchur*

• 2 weeks later...
O.k. Your tutorial farbposen from above is still not running on i-pad.....

I am talking about the tutorial videos on the hash.com-website.

As I said: Forum-videos will very likely not work for the simple reason that people need to use the right codec and we would need to integrate another way of playing these videos into the IP.Board forum. I am not sure if that is possible at all with this version of the forum software. Rodney knows more about that.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin
Rodney knows more about that.

Unfortunately, I don't think tweaking the back end of the forum would be worth the effort at this point to be 100% mobile compliant.

It'll likely take an update to the IPB software which may break more things than it'll fix in the short term.

A forum upgrade will happen eventually but by then the fix will likely already be programmed into the most popular but currently incompatible devices.