sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Quality of 3d prints from Makerbot Replicator 2

Fuchur

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting that. Those layers are more visible than I expected.

Will you smooth that particular object somehow, maybe by sanding?

Actually for this object I will not do anything like that because it looks quite interesting the way it is having nice speculars on it.

The problem with sanding is, that you would have to paint it after that again. If the surface is sanded you will alter its appearance and it will (in this case) look more like a grey/white thing than the other black parts.

Keep in mind, that you will only see these layers at a certain angle with a lightsource showing it and of course you need to be quite close to it. (this is all matched in the images I show you there).

In general people do only notice them at all if I tell them to look for the layers. And of course: If you are using other filament which is not that shiny by itself, it is much less noticeable. I choose black for that reason. It is one of the shinest filaments I've got and it is most easy to see the layers on it. (but since most plastic parts you may have are actually black these do somehow not get noticed much... it is quite interesting to see what people really notice and what they dont...)

Be aware that the form of this object is very curvy too. Like that you can easily see the layers on the object... if it would be more of a straight thing it would be less noticeable... it highly depends on what you will print and this may be one of the parts where it really is easy to spot the steps due to its curvy nature.

See you

*Fuchur*

Here is a Yoda head from Thingiverse.com printed in natural PLA.

First picture is it with the support material on the build platform. The second picture is it cleaned-up next to one that has a coat of primer on it. The primer fills in some of the stair stepped look. I think a little putty and sanding would make it pretty smooth. This was printed at standard quality

Photo_Sep_23__4_27_03_PM.jpg

Photo_Sep_23__4_32_41_PM.jpg

• 1 month later...
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/02/the-...s-in-real-time/

It seemed more appropriate to post here than start a new thread but, this may be of interest ?

Yes - I have seen that before (and also posted in a different thread - somewhere) - fascinating!

Local libraries in my area have recently announced they will be offering use of 3D printers

I haven't checked this out yet, as I don't think their programs are in full swing, but I will most likely investigate at some point. I'm surprised the Cupertino Library hasn't also participated. Sunnyvale and Mountain View are neighboring towns.

Edited by NancyGormezano

• Hash Fellow
Local libraries in my area have recently announced they will be offering use of 3D printers

I haven't checked this out yet, as I don't think their programs are in full swing, but I will most likely investigate at some point. I'm surprised the Cupertino Library hasn't also participated. Sunnyvale and Mountain View are neighboring towns.

Head line of the future:

"Man 3D Prints Gun, Takes Librarian Hostage"

Head line of the future:

"Man 3D Prints Gun, Takes Librarian Hostage"

Yup, another reason to always be packing heat these days sez the NRA.

... we do not need to talk about how dumb that is, right?

See you

*Fuchur*