sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Studio Ghibli live action Monster film

Simon Edmondson

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Note: I've seen mention of this short as being a full film but every indication is that it is a short commissioned for the Tokusatsu Museum.

A perfect place to display art from Ghibli.

And speaking of art... this short certainly qualifies for that title.

I'll try to capture my first impressions but note that while there are many positive aspects of the short I won't be addressing them in this post.

Most of the positive commentary would focus on the (rather obvious) skill on display.

I understand this SFX exhibit was trying to connect with "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" and as such the ending is predicated on the destruction of everything (specifically Tokyo) but there is a hollowness to this telling of the story it lacks the latter tale that tells the tale of hope and recovery. What this story then lacks in elements of heart and hope it overtly displays in an explosion of pessimism. As there isn't a single solitary person (perhaps outside of the narrator) who we can connect with, the short doesn't engage this member of the audience in any significant way except to reject the vision on display in the hope of experiencing a better tale.

Perhaps the most significant omission in the short is the presence of humanity in the streets while the destruction takes place.

I assume that much of the live action presence in the beginning of the short is to overcome the lack of it in the latter parts of the film.

By suggesting that the streets are full of people it is hoped that we will imagine those people are still there.

I'm not suggesting people should be shown being destroyed in all its gruesome detail but a reaction shot or two would have gone a long way.

As most popular stories of today tend to be, this story also lacks a single solitary hero but in the case of this short it simply takes that trend all the way.

It's rather telling that the closest the short comes to having a living soul in it (that appear effected by the acts of these gods of destruction) is a dog tied to its own chain. It's almost as if just prior to the destruction all the city's inhabitants were suddenly and safely... spirited away.

It is noted that this is a conscious decision on the part of the creators of the film who with a few exceptions purposefully obscured faces and facial expressions and only momentarily hinted at the (empty) lives of the people about to be destroyed. And they did this from a safe distance as if playing the part of the destroyers themselves.

(Disclaimer: I didn't follow the full narration and would have to enlist my family to properly translate to gain all the nuances there)

Edit: I should only look for the positive shouldn't I?