Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cookie Cut Question

Trying to follow up on Robert's suggestionI am using Cookie Cut decals for the first time, with mixed results and wondered what I might be doing wrong?

This is a PNG of the decal used ( the original is tga )

Raincloud_One_000.png

This is the flat used to put the decal on

Cloud_flat.png

and this is what happens when I render it.

Render.png

I looked on the forum and there was a suggestion that Multi pass had to be on for cookie cut to show but I'm getting the same result with multi pass on as well.

Any help gratefully received.

regards

simon

Cookie_Cut.prj

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well Simon I'm not sure about why there are big white areas showing? It dose the same here in v17g.

The cloud is near see-through (is that intended?) It is not actually a "solid" grey colour itself but has a fair amount transparency in it.

This is how your file rendered in the chore;

Sure doesn't look right!

S6_Clouds0.tga

Well Simon I'm not sure about why there are big white areas showing? It dose the same here in v17g.

The cloud is near see-through (is that intended?) It is not actually a "solid" grey colour itself but has a fair amount transparency in it.

This is how your file rendered in the chore;

Sure doesn't look right!

Mark

Thank you for your help.

The cloud is supposed to be semi transparent, although perhaps that needs to be toned down (?). I'll try a re alpha attempt in Pshop and see if that works.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

You're still on v15, I recall? I think there was a bug that made alpha channels malfunction if there was no actual image in the confines of the patch.

If you use a simple 2x2 grid your decal should work.

You're still on v15, I recall? I think there was a bug that made alpha channels malfunction if there was no actual image in the confines of the patch.

If you use a simple 2x2 grid your decal should work.

Robert

Thank you very much indeed for that.

I had thought more geometry was the way to go, showing inexperience. Simple is best. Champion.

Thank you.

regards

simon

CC_Cloud.png

• Hash Fellow
I had thought more geometry was the way to go,

It's one of those things where splines are opposite of polygons.

I've used your PRJ to make an AMReport on this since it made such a clear example of the problem.

I had thought more geometry was the way to go,

It's one of those things where splines are opposite of polygons.

I've used your PRJ to make an AMReport on this since it made such a clear example of the problem.

Robert

Thank you.Its rare for me to be able to help ! ( smile )

simon

I would suggest making the clouds opaque so the arrangement of the elements is more clear.

Robert

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that later. I like the semi transparency because you get the overlays which give a more 'cloudlike' appearance from less but, it can get a bit confusing too.

Heres the test that was going through before I got your reply.

regards

simon

Rainclouds.mov

Simon, that latest test is getting pretty nice! However, clouds, especially dark rain clouds, are completely opaque. The transparency is a little confusing and looks like a mistake, or, dare I say it, an unfinished experiment!

I would even say that you could put some cloud-like shading on the decal to give the clouds a little more definition. Clouds are almost always bulbous or rounded in appearance.

Simon, that latest test is getting pretty nice! However, clouds, especially dark rain clouds, are completely opaque. The transparency is a little confusing and looks like a mistake, or, dare I say it, an unfinished experiment!

I would even say that you could put some cloud-like shading on the decal to give the clouds a little more definition. Clouds are almost always bulbous or rounded in appearance.

Gerry

Thank you for your reply. I do like this one, especially with the clouds on the ground with the rough surface. The problem is that it is in a completely different style to the rest of the short its intended for. I might have to use it elsewhere though !

The decals on the clouds are only a series of tonal 'noises' done in photoshop to make it look like diagonal shading .091.jpg.

Ill go back and change the settings on the decals, and post a test later on.

Regards

simon

• Hash Fellow
Following Robert's and Gerry's suggestions for the clouds.

Non toon render, opaque clouds. low res test.

Any feedback welcome

simon

Rainclouds_02.mov

That looks threatening!

I suppose if you could try a soft edge on the clouds But I like solid clouds you have.

That looks threatening!

I suppose if you could try a soft edge on the clouds But I like solid clouds you have.

Robert

Thank you for your suggestion earlier. Its leading up to a thunderstorm but, thats a bit further down the line yet. Best move over to theWIP thread now I think.

regards

simon