sprockets Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cube-shaped computer case? Build/buy?

Roger

• *A:M User*

I've been wanting to downsize from the big honking server case I have to something smaller.

Ideally, it would be maybe 12x12x12 or 14x14x14 inches.

Needs to fit a micro-atx motherboard, water cooler and full-size graphics card.

Would be nice if it was tool-less or at least required a minimum of hassle to get things in and out.

I've thought about building my own case, so I don't have to screw around with trying to find something close to what I want, but I don't have any metal-working tools so would most likely need to build it out of wood. While wood is easy to work with, it doesn't shield RF at all and probably wouldn't look terribly good painted.

I like the old SGI Indigo case form factor (not the Indigo 2), that is about what I'm looking for. Although that is not really a cube because it is a bit taller.

Anyone know of anything like the above? While I could get exactly what I wanted if I built it myself, my guess is the time/hassle involved in doing this wouldn't really save me any money.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is my thinking. I have a circular saw, but not a table saw and by the time I would buy a table saw, I would end up spending more than what it would cost to buy a case.

I've pretty much decided I'll probably buy, I'm just having a hard time finding a case that meets my requirements.

I managed to find a case made by a company called Apevia. While not perfect, it is close enough that it will do. There was another case I found, but it was twice the price ($140 compared to $70) and had something silly like 8 case screws on each side holding the side panels on. Made it sound like a nightmare to work on.

I think it would be fun to build a case out of wood or use an existing wood container....now you gave me an idea ..currently I'm building a mini rotary speaker (leslie) and the cabinet will be a wooden barrel ....see pic......of course it's not cube shaped ......it's appx 18" x 12"

2810532689724040_1.jpg