Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Atmospheric

scene1_Howl_217.jpg

This is the opening short scene of a project I am working on, lasting 00:09:15 and I wondered if anyone could advise me on:

Composition

Lighting

Framing

I am trying for a more professional feel to my projects and would like to get some input from the "pros" but all are welcome to comment.

Oh yeah....the wolf model is not finished yet, I know it needs work.

More images can be seen here:-

http://home.btconnect.com/FatclownFilms/videopage_2.htm

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my suggestions, use as you see fit.

The direct profile view of the wolf seems too flat and lacking in interest if he's going to be seen clearly. If he's going to be a silohuette a flat profile view is fine. You need more contrast, right now the whole image is dark. Try to brighten the moon and darken the wolf, add some color to the sky to help things stand out. You're not trying to represent realism here, you're trying to tell a story. Use the tricks of Hollywood to tell it. Good lighting and color can tell a story by themselves. Put some edge lighting on the wolf and cliff.

Compostionally it is good, but I would like to see more trees in the right upper corner to balance it a little more.

Jim

Well, I'm no pro, but...

So far its looking good, but most of the light in the picture should be coming from the moon 'cause its night time, and there wouldn't be as much showing in front of the wolf. Instead, there would be a thin line of moonlight outlining the edge of the wolf and the rock its on. Also (unless its the look your going for) you could make the sky more of a dark blue with gray clouds instead of black with gray clouds. Because in a forest, even at midnight, the sky is still slightly blue, and not pitch black. Umm... other than that, some more trees on the right would look good too. Good luck on your project!

Robert

(P.S.- your web site's pretty cool :lol: )

c-wheeler - nice scene, I think there needs to be proper ligthing to seperate your character from the background. As it stands there seems to be no backlight coming from the moon shinning unto the wolf and as a result the lighting looks flat...

Jeremy Birn's ligthing tut's are the best I have seem so far he covers the importance of the fundermentals of lighting... I think as long as the lighting is tweaked you've got yourself a winner..

keep up the good work.

http://home.btconnect.com/FatclownFilms/im...ndexPicture.jpg

OK.

scene now with:

Edge light in moonset to182/121/92

Key light by camera at 0/128/0

Fill light by camera at 255/0/0

moon and sky are lit with their own light lists the same colour as the Edge light

Comments?

The Jeremy Birn stuff was realy helpfull.

I wish I could find out more about Moods, etc though.

Pick an actor, add some action, pictures are created!