Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cloth tip

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

I've found a case where running a simCloth simulation while looking in the Camera view is a problem. A simulation that would run in a reasonable time if I started it from a Birdseye view would get bogged down with many tens of thousands of "collisions" (see lower left corner of the screen shot) to try to solve if I started it in the camera view.

My experience is that anything more than a few hundred collisions is a sign of a simulation going bad and 30,000 is pretty much crazy stuff that has gone off the rails and will never finish properly.

Simmed_In_Camera_View_photo1.jpg

For simple situations like "Wave the Flag" I don't think Camera View will be an issue, and if you have created some genuinely unsolvable circumstance in your model or animation, BirdsEye view wont' save you, but just be aware that Camera view may not be ideal while running simulations.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dang that's an incredible find Robert! I just re-tried a test for Biff's cape that I'd given up on. Check this out, it's behaving beautifully. I did try putting a path constraint on Biff so he could walk over a distance, but the cloth got wonky almost immediately. So here he's walking in place. But it would be a cinch to do the sim, then put him on a path if I wanted.

Did you just stumble across this!

Biff_WalkCapeTest_h264.mov

• Hash Fellow

That looks real good Gerry.

In my test case the birdseye view was still a perspective view so I'm not sure that perspective vs. non is the issue but perhaps it also is.

In further testing I'm beginning to think that different birdseye views may have more or less success but that's hard to confirm since birdseye views can't be saved and reused.

I found this because I had an old project aht worked in v16 and was going to add some more cloth, but now in v17.

But that didnt' work, and even just the original cloth wouldn't work so figured it must be a new v17 bug and went back to v16.

But it didn't work in v16 now, even though it had worked before! Eventually I just happened to run a simulation after I had turned out of the Camera view and that whizzed right through. A-ha!

However, I still haven't got my new added cloth to work yet. :huh:

It's a good find, but it would be *nice* to know the ins and outs and what-have-yous. However I believe I'll be going back to the cloth material for this cape; I'd switched to a series of bones with dynamic contstraints, which works okay, but there's a lot of tweaking with the cp weighting and it was never 100% though I had planned to work with it further. I might have two models for this character and use on a case-by-case basis. Not every shot he's in needs a waving cape anyway.

EDIT: I do have a cloth question though: if a character appears in a shot at say, frame 320, is there a way to start the cloth sim at that frame instead of zero? Guess I should go test.

• Hash Fellow
EDIT: I do have a cloth question though: if a character appears in a shot at say, frame 320, is there a way to start the cloth sim at that frame instead of zero? Guess I should go test.

In the Choreography properties, under plugins, there is a Simcloth option to turn "Use Chor Length" OFF and set a start and end time.

• Hash Fellow
I though simulations needed to in a front view? Or is that just dynamics?

I remember Martin once saying dynamics had to be simulated from the front view, but I couldn't find that it made things any better when i tried it.

If any one can find more on that I'd be eager to read more about it.