sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A dual monitor laptop

robcat2075

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• *A:M User*

30 minutes? An hour, tops? Probably more like a built-in UPS than actually having a portable system.

Specs on this thing are lousy, too. Especially for what you're paying for. I think they are asking 3 or 4k?

You would have a hard time speccing out a thinkpad w520 or top of the line Mac for more than 2k, especially if you bought your RAM from a 3rd party. And if you really needed to have another monitor to haul around with you, you could get one of those Samsung usb displays.

I get 6 hours on a sandybridge quad core doing actual work on my w520, wouldn't trade it for this thing.

• Admin

(From reading some of the commentary on the site linked to I believe folks may be missing the point here.

The main idea is to have a portable system that can be transported to a remote location and set up without the hassle of lugging around a full sized desktop computer. It's not very practical to lug desktops around.

Battery life wouldn't be an issue because it'd be plugged to power during usage.

Use in cramped spaces (such as airplanes) wouldn't be a factor because it'd likely be used in the same space as a desktop.

I can see this being very useful in the military but the systems may not be ruggedized enough for that. What most who need such systems do now is just connect a one screen laptop to a second monitor, TV or projector and get to work. The down side is that there can be issues with monitor compatibility, installing drivers etc. and the difference in screen size and resolutions can be quite a hassle. Still, those who need this kind of thing are usually quite adept at making it work.

For the average laptop user I don't see a lot of utility in this one.

Maybe if there were four screens... side to side and top to bottom. :D