sprockets Hans Donuts Featured USS Midnight spotlight Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Smoothing and Saving

Simon Edmondson

As some of you know, I had a few problems in December with files going awry. Fortunately I haven't had a recurrence of those problems yet but I have noticed a curious factor with the current iteration of AM.

If I work in the current project, save, close the project and shut down AM.

When I reopen, there is a little asterisk on the actions folder indicating there has been a change which needs saving ?

When I open the folder it varies as to which action has the change indicator showing.

Has anyone else noticed this and, has it given any problems ?

Pt two

Working on an action file I noticed that there is an option to 'Smooth' the interpolation method.

I looked in the technical reference book but, could not find any reference to this option.

Could anyone point me to reference material on that option ?

Thank you.

Simon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smooth/Peak does the same to channel splines as Smooth/Peak does to model splines

Rob

Thank you once again for your help.

As someone who had the same problems with the mystery channels, have you noticed the save prompt when reopening your current project ?

I've noticed the prompt but, when I try to trace the change I can't seem to find it. A bit of a puzzler...

regards

simon

I have never gotten a "Save" prompt immediately upon opening any of my models/chors/projects. I can't imagine what would be causing it..

I think he means he gets an asterick - indicating there is some change.

I have noticed that on occasion, I will get an asterick on something but I ignore it, if I know I haven't changed anything. It is safe to ignore.

I haven't noticed it yet, but If you can make a test project that will always do this when it's opened that woudl help identify it.

I'm in the middle of a prolonged render of the project I'm working on so, it might take a few days but, I will try to do so as soon as I can.

regards

simon

I think he means he gets an asterick - indicating there is some change.

I have noticed that on occasion, I will get an asterick on something but I ignore it, if I know I haven't changed anything. It is safe to ignore.

You are correct, that is exactly what I mean by a save prompt.

It only seems to happen to the action folder ( which is why I wondered if it might be relevant to the previous problem ?) but it doesn't happen to the same action each time.

Curiouser and curiouser ( said Alice )...

regards

simon

As some of you know, I had a few problems in December with files going awry. Fortunately I haven't had a recurrence of those problems yet but I have noticed a curious factor with the current iteration of AM.

If I work in the current project, save, close the project and shut down AM.

When I reopen, there is a little asterisk on the actions folder indicating there has been a change which needs saving ?

When I open the folder it varies as to which action has the change indicator showing.

Has anyone else noticed this and, has it given any problems ?

These pop up from time to time.

This can happen to any file. It seems if the prj file has the entrees for a give file and the file has it also it will prompt a save when you load it up. Another one of those quirks they never got around to cleaning up. This may not be the only one to cause this problem. But this is what I have found.

This can happen to any file. It seems if the prj file has the entrees for a give file and the file has it also it will prompt a save when you load it up. Another one of those quirks they never got around to cleaning up. This may not be the only one to cause this problem. But this is what I have found.

Thank you for the info. I'll have to go back to trying to spot the cause of the other problem.

regards

simon

Slight update

Another thing that seems to be happening ( which I'm unused to ) is that

Some of the the changes made in a project, don't save properly, even though they were saved carefully. ?

For example.

This morning we had a power cut which stopped the rendering. Although I had carefully saved all the changes, when I reopened to begin again, the project did not hold the previous settings ( even though they had been saved ).

So, the choreography had reverted to 10 seconds long instead of 4,

The file to render to was now a QT movie rather than a TGA sequence,

The resolution was now low instead of 1080HD,

Render in passes was turned off instead of on

and, the frames to render had changed as well.

This is mildly irritating but, is it a problem others have had and, most importantly, is it significant ?

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow
The file to render to was now a QT movie rather than a TGA sequence,

The resolution was now low instead of 1080HD,

Render in passes was turned off instead of on

and, the frames to render had changed as well.

The way to burn render settings into your project is to set them all (and i mean all) in the camera properties in the chor and set your render options to "use camera settings"

Alternatively, at render time, you can save a "preset" that captures all current render parameters in a file you can re-load at future render times.

The way to burn render settings into your project is to set them all (and i mean all) in the camera properties in the chor and set your render options to "use camera settings"

Alternatively, at render time, you can save a "preset" that captures all current render parameters in a file you can re-load at future render times.

Rob

Thank you for the info. I will try to implement it from now on.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

I should note that to make sure a setting that is normally a default be explicitly saved in camera settings, you must set it to something else, then set it back.

If you just leave it at the default it will have no setting and might be overridden by whatever was set in the last work you did in A:M.

The render presets are simpler since they automatically capture even unset default settings, but they are a file separate from your PRJ and you have to remember to use them.