sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

cloth and hair

wildcard

I’m having some issues with an “Ork” flag banner I’m creating.

The banner is hanging from a “T” shaped pole similar to the following image.

custode%20sergeant%20with%20banner%20finished.jpg

On top of the banner I will be modeling a skull with hair tied in a very long ponytail sticking out on top slightly backwards. But for now, it`s a sphere with one patch with a very dense amount of hair.

ork_boyz_head_6_2008_large.jpg

The banner (or Cloth) I’ve under control, the pole is setup as deflector and the cloth will not pass through it. The hair on the other hand I don’t seem to be able to control

From time to time, it will pass through the sphere or pole but most of the time it`s looking ok.

But it’s piercing through the banner like it isn’t there.

Any way I can setup a deflector for the hair to prevent it from passing through objects similar to the Cloth constraints?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin
Any way I can setup a deflector for the hair to prevent it from passing through objects similar to the Cloth constraints?

Yes. Under the Simcloth material you create you have an initial setting that toggles to one of two choices; 1. Cloth (the default setting) or 2. Deflector

Create at least two cloth materials; one to apply to cloth objects and one for objects that will be deflectors.

(You can create additional materials other settings)

Apply the Cloth material to the Banner and the Deflector material to the Pole.

If you have a sufficiently dense mesh (with enough patches for the simulator to calculate something) the Banner will interact properly with the Pole.

Edit: My apologies. In rereading your post it seems I've misread where you were having problems.

For simplicity's sake (because you seem to understand Simcloth and its working well for you) I recommend that you use textured Simcloth strips for the hair and let the Simcloth animate those.

Cloth_or_Deflector.jpg

Matt Campbell, screenname: "John Bigboote", has a detailed post around here somewhere on hair and collision detection.

I think I remember one of the things he suggested was to increase the subdivisions on the hair controllers to 4 or something like that.