Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Patches and Flipping Normals.

wildcard

So I build my fist model, but when I render a lot patches don't render right.

I found the solution and I had to flip normals on the patch that didn't render right.

Any quick way to get all patches to be flipped in an outward direction so the render correctly?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Right click -> Refind Normals may do the trick.

Shift-1 gives you the little yellow spikes to tell you which way your normals are facing; you can use Patch Select mode (the pink button on the right) to select individual patches and flipping them without trying to futz around selecting each little CP.

Right click -> Refind Normals may do the trick.

Shift-1 gives you the little yellow spikes to tell you which way your normals are facing; you can use Patch Select mode (the pink button on the right) to select individual patches and flipping them without trying to futz around selecting each little CP.

Refind Normals solved a good deal of patches, but still many are incorrect.

I'll make sure I've Show Normals toggled on next time I am building some thing, for its a royal pain in the butt going over each and every single patch checking if its normals are correctly set

• Hash Fellow
I'll make sure I've Show Normals toggled on next time I am building some thing, for its a royal pain in the butt going over each and every single patch checking if its normals are correctly set

You can make spotting them easier by setting "Show backfacing polys" OFF in your shaded render settings.

Also, the you can hold down the SHIFT key while you use the Patch Group Mode to select several patches and them flip them all at once.

You can make spotting them easier by setting "Show backfacing polys" OFF in your shaded render settings.

Not sure where I might find this option.

There are several places where this option is available. The easiest way for me is:

Go to Tools > Options and click on the Rendering tab.

Under "Use Settings From", choose "The Camera".

In the large window that has all the render options, For "Quality", choose "Shaded & Wireframe"

Scroll down a little and you will see an option called "Show Back Facing Polys". Set that to OFF.

Now when you view the back side of a patch, it will be transparent. Makes it much easier to see if your patches are facing the right way while you are modeling.

Also, to flip the normals, hit F on the keyboard.