Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My new wip, My first Head!

nixie

Hello smiley hashy people, I have just started a new wip of my friends head; I say friend but if he sees what im doing to him he might not be anymore! He's probably not the easyest subject as he has a broken nose, and i took the pictures after an evening of boozing so the rotos arent perfect but theyl do!

I was aiming to get the concentric ring thing implemented, but im not sure its done quite right.

heres a rendered image

post-7-1077729780.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou Mr Talbot, that means an awful lot coming from you! as you asked, here is a 3/4 ish view; notice the rather large 5 pointers to the side where I didnt know what else to do with the splinage. And was I right to modal the imperfections like his wonky nose?

Nixie

post-7-1077734487.jpg

I like the way you showed the transiton from the side of the nostrils to the cheek. That is exactly the area I have been having trouble with on my own head. I have run that spline that goes from the nostril side to the face every way I can think of but seeing it run down to the chin area and looping the facial splines over each other near the eye sockets gives me some inspiration. In reality a real face is not perfectly "mirrored" but I believe it is recommended for rigging the model for animation purposes. Nice job!

thanks, that was one of the first things I laid down, I like it because it gives you that tight fold that u get in real life; but the spline now curles round into the nostril which saved a bit of mess i was having. I will try to get more done then post with something more substantial. But if anyone can see any major problems with the splinage then please let me know!

Nixie

Right now heres an update; I have finished the back of the head and most of the neck is finished. found the joys of porcelain too! If its okay with my friend Il give this mesh to the community when im done. But im not! Ears are going to be difficult, I see so many good ears on here; do you guys lathe and delete half and tweak or what? or just knit the splines from scratch?

thankful of any guidance!

Nixie

post-7-1077811408.jpg

Hi Nixie, I think it's all starting to come together. There are a couple of areas on the mesh that I personally would want to change if it were my model,but the most notable areas I feel is at the corners ofthe lips.

A lot of people model the corner of the lip so that it winds up running back up along the face towards the eyes or temple region. If you are planning on animating him, this might be an area of uncertanty when moving he mesh about.

A lot of tutorials tell you to do it this way,but I feel it is a bad design element.

So what I would suggest, rather than running that spline back up along the face up towards the eye, run it back towards the neck.

I don't have a really clear sample on the web, but a video on mysite has the wireframe showing.

here is the direct link.

http://www.3dartz.com/Video/VSamp5.mov

if you look you can see how the spline runs from the corner of the lip back towards the neck.

It's just a suggestion but I find that it is much much easier to do it this way. Not too mention it gives you a good split of the upper and lower areas of the jaw. Just to assist when creating morph targets.

If you want I could markup your image in Photoshop to make what I'm saying a little more clear.

Overall really really good.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Mike hart, It could be the camera angle, I have tweaked but not alot; probably the porcelain, it does smooth the mesh but yeah it takes away the subtle splinage I took ages fiddling with!

Mike Fitz, I understand, il test some poses with what I currently have, if its no good then I may have to implement what you have said. thanks for the advice!

Zaryin, Im not going to argue with you with an avatar like that! a little off-topic, but is that done in am? iv'e been wanting to see that creature in an image for a while now; any linkies? and off topic again, I think some-one should set up a 'what time zone are you in' poll!

Minor update ear! hahaha hmm

any ways, I attempted lathing the ear but found laying one down from scratch to be a far more rewarding process, if a little laborious. attaching is not my strongpoint, so im really not looking forward to sticking this fella on.

regards Nixie

post-7-1077926158.jpg

a great start indeed.

<<I attempted lathing the ear but found laying one down from scratch to be a far more rewarding process>>

I agree 10000%.

<<attaching is not my strongpoint>>

Just remember to attach on one half of the face and use copy/flip/attach.

working with one half of the model would save you a lot of time and labour.

A habit I have found to be useful is to duplicate a rotoscope by a control drag

on the model and shifting the duplicate rotoscope to one side.This scope scope

would still be visible when I am tweaking in the shaded wireframe mode and can

make the world of difference when trying to nail down small details.

Keep splining

Luv pat

• 3 weeks later...

A minor update here, havn't had time to actually attach the ears as of yet, but found a little time to mess with the v 11 hair which is fantastic! i was only mucking but i wanted to share anyway!

post-7-1079805982.jpg