sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

extra dvd, modeling human characters and robots

north

now i was just interested in what the Extra DVD has, does it have video tutorial on it that shows how to model human characters and mecha robots?

i already did the F-150 fighter jet tutorial on how to rotoscope to model an image but that is how it went and it didnt show you how to create eyes, mouth, how to color it, and so forth.

also it seems that in order to rotoscope, you must have different pictures of the same object from different views.

i was wondering if there were any plugins that would help in modeling human characters and robots.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

now i was just interested in what the Extra DVD has, does it have video tutorial on it that shows how to model human characters and mecha robots?

i already did the F-150 fighter jet tutorial on how to rotoscope to model an image but that is how it went and it didnt show you how to create eyes, mouth, how to color it, and so forth.

also it seems that in order to rotoscope, you must have different pictures of the same object from different views.

i was wondering if there were any plugins that would help in modeling human characters and robots.

For modeling humans, the Extras DVD has the "Cooper" tutorials by Colin Freeman. They can also be found here online.

The DVD also included tutorials on "Digits", "Feet", "Joining an eye to a nose", "LathingMethods", "MagnetMode", etc.

For modeling mechanical objects, I would recommend going through these tutorials:

Yves Poissant

Beveling

Rodger Reynolds

Non-character Modeling in Animation:Master (I think these are also on the DVD)

Jim Talbot

Texturing a Head Model in Animation:Master (included on the DVD)

Matthew Krick

Modeling, Rendering and Rigging tutorials (included on the DVD)

There are a lot more tutorials and examples on the DVD...lots of good stuff.

As far as plugins, there are some already built into A:M that are very helpful...I have used "Sweeper" quite a bit on mechanical objects and "BitMapPlus" is helpful when texturing. Of course, there are others that are very helpful...those two were off the top of my head. You might also want to take a look at the plugins made by Stephen Gross here.

If you search the forums, you'll find a lot of useful tutorials and examples...in my signature, there is a link to a video tutorial for making an eye.

Hope that helps.

• Hash Fellow

That definitely helps since one picture is just a flattened representation of a not-flat object. A front view of a face tells you how far up or down an ear is but doesn't tell you how far back the ear is. That's what the side view tells you.

Good rotoscopes need to match very closely. A front and side view should show the same vertical distances for features. A front and top view should show the same horizontal distances for features. Fortunately A:M allows you to move and scale rotoscope images to help them match up.

It's also important to get images with as little perspective distortion as possible. The farther away the camera is from an object the less perspective distortion there will be.

It's also important to get images with as little perspective distortion as possible. The farther away the camera is from an object the less perspective distortion there will be.

Which is definitely giving me troubles on the Daedalus model, lots of eyeballing is involved because of this perspective issue