Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Sound

Simon Edmondson

Working on an Imac in OSX snow leopard in V15 ( the one off the installation disc )

I am having trouble with the sound in an action file.

It was going OK until a few days ago and a glitch slipped in (?) . I was working with .wav files and was using one 2 mins long. Thinking it a bit large I split it down into smaller parts using Logic express. I tested the files outside Logic using QT and they worked perfectly. When imported into AM they wouldn't play and just gave a distorted noise.

I tried the sound editing several times with the same effect.

So I went back and converted them to MP3 but that was not accepted. So I have just converted them to aiff type files, only to find they are not accepted either... ?

Could someone kindly explain what is acceptable and how I might go about working to that standard ?

Please ask if this is unclear. Th`nk you in advance.

regards

simon

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as I am aware, A:M accepts wav files, and only wav files. Go back to the original 2 min wav file that was working fine in A:M and cut up up again, only this time save the clips as Uncompressed wav files. If that doesn't work, use a different audio editor to cut it down. Here is a nice free editor: http://traverso-daw.org/ No matter what you use to edit your source audio, always save the clips you intend to import into A:M as Uncompressed wav files. I think another way of saying that is Linear PCM audio ... but don't quote me on that ;)

Is there a reason not to be using the latest update?

Only ineptitude really. Its only recently that I got the wireless running on the Imac as I was trying to keep it away from the web for security reasons. Having set that up last week I remembered about the upgrades and got it today. I'll try to install tomorrow.

Normally I just install the one version and keep that until the next subscription disc. I had a lot of trouble back with V9 I think it was but appreciate the changes since then.

regards

Simon

>> Go back to the original 2 min wav file that was working fine in A:M and cut up up again, only this time save the clips as Uncompressed wav files. If that doesn't work, use a different audio editor to cut it down. Here is a nice free editor: http://traverso-daw.org/

Thank you for the tips. I will try to follow through over the next few days.

regards

simon

Rob

I installed the latest upgrade ( it install over the standard 15 and adds a folder for V16 documents ? ).

Redited back to 2 min wav.

wav file plays fine under QT on OSX but,

when imported into AM it only buzzes rather than plays the file ?

regards

simon

Ps

Habiit of not keepin up with upgrades arose when I used an old PC running w98 to access the web. Nobody wrote virus's for w98 so it was secure. Now I use Macs but, old habits die hard !

• Hash Fellow

Is it possible you are exporting your wav file in some odd bit rate... bit depth... integer high low order... something?

Do you have QT Pro? try re exporting your wav from QT Pro to another wav.

Habiit of not keepin up with upgrades arose when I used an old PC running w98 to access the web. Nobody wrote virus's for w98 so it was secure. Now I use Macs but, old habits die hard !

You could always download the installer on one machine and carry the file over to the other machine.

Is it possible you are exporting your wav file in some odd bit rate... bit depth... integer high low order... something?

I shall check and see.

Do you have QT Pro? try re exporting your wav from QT Pro to another wav.

I don't have QT pro but I will try to get it this afternoon.

You could always download the installer on one machine and carry the file over to the other machine.

Thats the way I try to do it but, I got out of the habit of looking for upgrades. The memory goes wonky as I get older...

Thank you for your considerate help.

Simon

• Hash Fellow
I don't have QT pro but I will try to get it this afternoon.

Don't do that unless you already have it. I don't' know that this will solve your problem, It would just be an easy experiment to try if you had it already.

How big is the file?

Don't do that unless you already have it. I don't' know that this will solve your problem, It would just be an easy experiment to try if you had it already.

How big is the file?

Rob

Thank you for your efforts.

I bought QT pro but it gave me a very frustrating afternoon.( I'm going to use the helpline tomorrow ) If I was paranoid, instead of inept, I might start to think everything was going wrong...

Anyway, the file is only a couple of Mb. I'll post it tomorrow.

Thank you

I run a Mac with Quicktime Pro as well as some other sound editing software and I'll be glad to take a look at it and see if I can't get it to work.

Janotor.mov

[]

JanitorB.mov

E_2.wav

Janotor Movie is how it should sound ( the original render using the full medley file)

JanitorB is how it now sounds using the e2 wav file ( also attatched )

The E2 wav plays fine in QTpro and Itunes when used outside of AM.

When I import it into the project using that option in the sound folder the sound is distorted beyond recognition.

One thing I did just notice is that the e2 file does not show the wave form within AM in the Project Workspace (?)

When you listen to Janitor B you can hear the file behjind the distortion but it is barely there.

The action file is not quite the same in the JB render but thats something else altogether...

Any help gratefully recieved,thank you.

sincerely

simon

The E2.wav file is 24bit and 48KHz. Try exporting it as 16bit, 44.1KHz.

Attached is the E2.wav file exported from Quicktime Pro with those settings. I played it in A:M and it sounds good.

Also included is a screenshot of the the Audio export settings from Quicktime Pro.

Open your audio in Quicktime Pro.

Choose File > Export.

In the dialog box that pops up, for "Export", choose "Sound to Wave".

Click on the "Options" button.

Use the screenshot attached to this post as reference for choosing the correct settings.

Hit the "OK" button in the "Sound Settings" dialog. The dialog will close and you will be back at the "Save exported file as" dialog.

Hit the "Save" button.

Import the save audio file into A:M.

audio_exported.wav

audio_export.jpg