sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Surface ambiguities

bobhernie

This could well be my own incompetence but every time I try to model a face, when trying to attach the nose I always get this weird crease around where the nose connects (as shown in the pics) no matter whether I make the nose separately or pull it out from the face it seems to happen, I have tried Hooks and 5-point patches to no avail. If someone could point out where I am going wrong I would really appreciate it.

post-13140-1277126946_thumb.png

post-13140-1277126957_thumb.png

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This could well be my own incompetence but every time I try to model a face, when trying to attach the nose I always get this weird crease around where the nose connects (as shown in the pics) no matter whether I make the nose separately or pull it out from the face it seems to happen, I have tried Hooks and 5-point patches to no avail. If someone could point out where I am going wrong I would really appreciate it.

Have a look at the image provided... it should give you a much better surface.

All in all, you are using too many CPs for such a simple model and a quite uneven number of CPs on the nose-rings (so you may need that, dont know)...

See you

*Fuchur*

example_face.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to the Forum!

A good rule of splining is that you should never have more than 4 patch corners at any CP.

The spots where you have a spline dead-ending into a CP where two splines are already crossing... that makes 5 corners not 4... that's always icky.

Fuchur's alternate splining shows how to avoid that.

Fuchur, thanks so much for the image it really helped me sort the model out, the more I use the program the more spline aware I will become :)

robcat2075 and brainmuffin I appreciate your comments as well, and that tutorial is very handy.

Cheers!