sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

CP Weighting

TNT

I just changed to AM v15i.

I have the 2008 Rig partially installed but have not mirrored the bones yet.

I don't have a lot of experience weighting models but I don't recall this happening before.

When I weight a CP between two bones in an action, the CP is moving as I change the balance of the weighting.

The two pics show the position of the CP with a 90/10 favoring the Pelvis and a 90/10 favoring the Hip.

Note the position change of the CP.

Is this supposed to happen?

I thought that since the model was in its default pose, nothing should visually change.

If I'm doing something wrong I want to fix it before I mess up my model and rigging.

Thanks,

post-10558-1265467206_thumb.jpg post-10558-1265467214_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since the Right_Hip_Fan4_Geom bone is not part of the 2008 rig, it's hard to say, I don't know how you set it up. I'm assuming you are getting movement in the fan bone when the model is in an action. If the bone orients like the thigh, set the orientation of the bone (in the modeling window, bones mode) the same as the thigh bone. When setting up the fan bone pose, make sure you use FK legs and all the spine poses are OFF in the user properties and no compensation on the constraints.

Nothing is really wrong, you are just getting unwanted movement in the fan bone in the default position.

Are you sure you even need to add more fan bones to the rig?

Since the Right_Hip_Fan4_Geom bone is not part of the 2008 rig, it's hard to say, I don't know how you set it up. I'm assuming you are getting movement in the fan bone when the model is in an action. If the bone orients like the thigh, set the orientation of the bone (in the modeling window, bones mode) the same as the thigh bone. When setting up the fan bone pose, make sure you use FK legs and all the spine poses are OFF in the user properties and no compensation on the constraints.

Nothing is really wrong, you are just getting unwanted movement in the fan bone in the default position.

Are you sure you even need to add more fan bones to the rig?

Thanks for the response Mark.

I am getting movement in the fan bone as expected.

It and a few other fan bones are set to orient like the thigh at different % and from different points of rotation.

Compensation was set for them so they did not move when the constraint was applied. v15i seems to default this way now.

There may be other ways to get the CP's to move properly but so far for me the extra fan bones seem the easiest.

post-10558-1265472385_thumb.jpg

I'm glad to know the CP should move in an action as the weighting is being applied.

They do look correct in the model window.(not moved)

I just don't recall seeing it before and I don't understand why they should move but I'm still learning.

I should clarify, I understand if I am posing the character in an action and move a bone that the CP's should move just not while I am assigning the weights.

When I go to a chor and pose the character the CP's seem to follow correctly with the bones.

I also appreciate the insight on what to turn off and on when assigning the weights.

I did have some issues until I figured some of that out.

Lastly, I would like to tell you thanks for the 2008 rig.

I've used it on my robot (no fans were needed) and it is a great rig for me.

Not heavy, not to light.

Good documentation on the initial install.

I really like it.

Cheers,

When weighting, it doesn't matter what setup you use, it's when you create the relationship pose for the fan bones. If your model is in a default pose (t-pose) in the action (no keyframes made), and you weight the cps, they should not move, if you fan bone setup is done correctly. If your cps moved, then your fan bone moved from its default position when the model is placed in an action or chor, the compensation is incorrect. Something is not right with your fan bone constraint setup.

When weighting, it doesn't matter what setup you use, it's when you create the relationship pose for the fan bones. If your model is in a default pose (t-pose) in the action (no keyframes made), and you weight the cps, they should not move, if you fan bone setup is done correctly. If your cps moved, then your fan bone moved from its default position when the model is placed in an action or chor, the compensation is incorrect. Something is not right with your fan bone constraint setup.

OK, I think I found my mistake.

After setting a couple of the constraints with compensate mode on, I adjusted the "start" point on the fan bone to make its swing arc more where I wanted.

These were the bones with problems when I readjusted the CP weights.

I think this makes sense when I think about it.

If I move the start point the compensates will no longer be correct for the new bone orientation.

Am I correct that would cause the kind of behavior I was getting?

I want to be sure I know what I did wrong.

I deleted all the constraints and recreated them with compensates again.

Now the CP's don't move when adjusting their weighting in the action.