Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

3D painter - Odd issues

Sean delgatto

Ive been having issues with painting the models. When in normal mode and I go to paint, lets say a normal round brush, it is distored horribly either long ways or widthwise. SO then I do Projection painting and it looks great however when it goes to accpet not only does it distort what was painted but it also will mirror what was painted on one side on to the other. I tried breaking the head decale in two two seperate decales on front and one back and painted them accordingly but if I painted on lets say the back of the head with the back of head decale then it still copies over to the front decale even though it was never to be painted. If there is an instructional site that helps with these issues or how to work the program that would be priceless right now as I need to get some of these models knocked out. I attached a copy of one of the models I was testing the paint on.

post-9110-1245984008_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you describe and show is confusing -- when I paint in projection mode I get what I expect to get when I accept the projection mode changes. However, I have seen display errors -- that is, you do not see what is really there until you close and reopen 3DPaint.

As an aside, if you lock and/or hide a part of your model (I refer to groups) and believe that this will prevent you from painting on it you'll be wrong if the locked and/or hidden area has the same decal as the visible/unlocked areas. I believe the hide and lock functions are only useful for applying decals from within 3DPaint.

Only at the decal level can you control what gets painted and what does not.

Rusty

This might have something to do with your UV set up. It looks like you don't have it even on one map. It will look good in projection until you are done, then it will look like that if the layout of your UV map isn't good. If that's it, I would recomend redoing, or tweaking, your flattening for the front map.

I will assume that you have 2 different image files, 1 for the front and 1 for the back.

When you are in 3dpainter - you need to right click on the image file, eg. the one for the front and choose "Make only this image editable"

Brilliant that did the trick! Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!

Thank you guys for being there and helping me out with this!

Ok for one fleeting minute I was able to paint the model in Projection mode and hit accept and then it stayed. But now I cant get it to work! This is a little frustrating.

As to the UV set up I looked at all of the settings in the program and it said nothing about a UV set up when I launch it on its own. Fact is it really seems buggy. My Pc is fast enough to handle what it needs to and yet if you hit Undo sometimes it will give an outline cut out of the object instead of showing the object (which is weird).

I make sure to Make the particular decale Im working on the only one that is editable and yet it keeps fighting with me. The other problem is that if I do one decale and wrap it Sphere wise around it and hit Accept then it stretches the painted markings all over it. If I do one front and back image planer style it sort of works for painting on the decale however there are spots on the side of the head that you cant paint. This program seems like a good idea but is rather difficult to master or even ustilize, but Ill try more tomorrow. I think the frustrating part is it working one minute then not the next.

Hi Sean,

The other problem is that if I do one decale and wrap it Sphere wise around it and hit Accept then it stretches the painted markings all over it.

Could you post a screenshot of the decal viewer of that model. Maybe you have overlapping areas or other strange things. Or sending your model to me could also help me find out what goes wrong for you.

BTW, for the head you should also take a look at the options 'Opacity falloff' (paint opacity decreases for parts of the model that face away from the camera), 'Front and Back Side' (paint both front and back-facing parts of the model or not) and 'Only paint visible pixels' (only apply paint to parts of model that are visible).

The other problem is that if I do one decale and wrap it Sphere wise around it and hit Accept then it stretches the painted markings all over it.

This will be solved using the 'Opacity falloff'. Without this option turned on, the paint you apply in front view would also fall on the sides of the model (and thus be stretched out over there). You can see an illustration of the effect of 'Opacity falloff' on page 24 of the manual.

As to the UV set up I looked at all of the settings in the program and it said nothing about a UV set up when I launch it on its own.

As mentioned in the manual, the option to auto-decal the model is only available if the application is launched using the A:M plugin. The reason is that 3DPainter can then instruct A:M to add the stamps etc...

Best regards,

Filip

Here are the steps which I took First I tried applying the plain decale to be painted on, plainer style. Then I opened it via Right click plug in. from which it shows the circular brosh stretching and being distorted as it goes towards the side. so Obviously I dont want that so I try Projection painting and then it still distorts (see attached photos which are in order.

Then I try wrapping the decale around the head spherically and do the same trick and yet it still distores it. Regardless of Oppacity fall off is selected or not.

post-9110-1246067468_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067498_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067538_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067547_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067557_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067568_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067578_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067590_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067599_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067607_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067619_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246067628_thumb.jpg

Here are the steps which I took First I tried applying the plain decale to be painted on, plainer style. Then I opened it via Right click plug in. from which it shows the circular brosh stretching and being distorted as it goes towards the side. so Obviously I dont want that so I try Projection painting and then it still distorts (see attached photos which are in order.

Then I try wrapping the decale around the head spherically and do the same trick and yet it still distores it. Regardless of Oppacity fall off is selected or not.

Hi Sean,

Using A:M's spherical mapping for such a rather complex head will not give good stamps (especially if you don't tweak the created stamps manually). I you right-click on the decal in the project workspace of A:M and select 'Edit' you can see how A:M maps the decal onto the patches. If you have places on you texture that are mapped to different parts of the model, you will get artifacts in the texture. For example: suppose the cheek and the ear are mapped to a certain region of pixels on the texture by the A:M spherical mapping. Now you want to paint the cheek green. Because the ear is mapped to the same pixels on the texture, the ear will also turn green... I think that's what you are experiencing right now.

BTW, did you try 3DPainter's auto decal mapping tool (see pg 29 of the manual)? It ensures that you won't have any overlapping patches on the texture.

I went into Edit mode and here is something else I noticed. In the first image you see me only covering just the face with the Blank white decale right? Then in the second image, when I go to Edit it shows even the arms were included in the decale or at least the view.

post-9110-1246154289_thumb.jpg

post-9110-1246154295_thumb.jpg

When in A:M you should group all your decal groups as seperate groups, haha sorry for so many groups in there. Then in Painter you can lock and unlock any are you want to paint. ie: Front Head Decal, Back Head Decal, Top Left Arm, Bottom Right Arm, etc...

When in A:M you should group all your decal groups as seperate groups, haha sorry for so many groups in there. Then in Painter you can lock and unlock any are you want to paint. ie: Front Head Decal, Back Head Decal, Top Left Arm, Bottom Right Arm, etc...

I never even thought of that, heck never even tried that as it might make sense for why it kept drawing on all four when I selected only one and made it editable.

Ill goof with that and see where it ends up.

Finally got it to work.

Couple problems were since it was a borrowed model for practice I didnt realise there where more than on group attached to the same geomitry. So like the Skin was associated twice. Got rid of that. Then I started goofing with the decale a little more and found Planer really looked bad however cylindrical application" didnt look so bad. Did that and noticed that the brush tool which for a bit was distorted came back to a spherical paint brush shape. And then I did the follwoing. Now that I got my head around how the program works I should hopefully be ok

post-9110-1246236336_thumb.jpg

Filip,

I've tried sending a message to you directly but that function doesnt seem to be working so maybe this will work.

I have questions about the alien you designed, the one with the attena and spots runing acrross his head and down the back. Would it be cool if we spoke more one on one, my email is sean_delgatto2001@yahoo.com

My contact info is always public as I try to make myself as available as possible anyway.