Hawker and v.Richtofen....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's the results of the weekend. Everything's pretty much done now except for a pilot in the DH-2. [no small detail, that] But all the wires and such are on it and...ah...just noticed that the holders for extra Lewis gun drums outside the cockpit are missing. A fuel tank on the upper wing...my Gawd! Is there no end to it?

The planes are positioned at the cross-over point in a 'Rolling Scissors' though I don't think they called it that at the time.

John: no smoke this time. No flammers. Hawker and von Richtofen duked it out for for a very long time. One source said 35 minutes, which I find hard to believe. Ten minutes being an eternity in dogfights. In any event, the two were well matched and neither could get the upper hand until Hawker, realizing that he was nearly out of fuel, made a break for his own lines. He was only 50 yards short when von Richtofen got the angle on him and killed him with two rounds, one striking him in the head. Ironically, only seconds later, von Richtofen's guns jammed.

The background photo is from a book called "Chesapeak Bay From the Air". Or something very close. It's been a while.

THE_FIGHT_01__J__.jpg

THE_FIGHT_02__J__.jpg

THE_FIGHT_03__J_.jpg

THE_FIGHT_04__J_.jpg

THE_FIGHT_05__J_.jpg

THE_FIGHT_06__J_.jpg

Cool! GREAT story material... So, do you plan on doing a reenactment of the battle? Or maybe a synopsis?

No, no reenactments. Time to move on. There's no more that I have add to this moment in history [which has been mulled over by lots of good writers.] Though it would be cool if I had a good dramatic shot of the terrain where it happened. But that would be asking a lot. I've got two animations in the works...and there's this little voice inside that says stayfocusedstayfocused...still, the Voss/McCudden fight has great appeal.