sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

game modding

Akai

Hi, I'm new here and just picked up A:M about a week ago; as such still going through the tutorial guide. When I was in school a couple of years back, I had a small team working on a total conversion mod (demo) for UT2004. Back then we were using 3DS MAX... It was on all the lab PCs. I'm looking to start working on it again, soon. Any pointers on workflow, stuff that A:M does well for UT modding or not, cautions and pitfalls are appreciated. Thanks guys!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

AM is probably not the best choice for "game modding". You could probably find some simple open source polygon modeler to do that better than AM. AM does export .obj and .3ds... I am pretty sure. However I don't know what is needed for game modding and how well exported files from AM would work with that.

-vern

i have to agree with vern. even though i personally am not an expert at AM, i do know that spline to polygon mesh is very klunky at this point. AM wasn't really designed for that. AM works best within itself, rather than trying to cross-breed it with other programs such as 3ds max. if yo have acces to something like 3ds max, than i suggest you go back to using that for your game modding, as it was designed to be able to do that.

i have to agree with vern. even though i personally am not an expert at AM, i do know that spline to polygon mesh is very klunky at this point. AM wasn't really designed for that. AM works best within itself, rather than trying to cross-breed it with other programs such as 3ds max. if yo have acces to something like 3ds max, than i suggest you go back to using that for your game modding, as it was designed to be able to do that.

A:M can export to the DirectX-Format... this is very well suited. The problem is the import, if you plan to only edited already existing models.

I used A:M in combination with Quest3d to create Realtimecontent. It was working well.

*Fuchur*

i see, is this on all the versions?

V13 and newer should be able to use the exporter (available at my website for free).

So model, texture and animate in A:M and everything is fine. It is not as good as the newer collada-formats, but it will do the job.

Have a look at my hp... you can find a link in my signature.

*Fuchur*

This probably doesn't help you with UT, but there is also an AM exporter for the Torque game engine. I can't remember who wrote it, but you can try a forum search to dig it up.

Chris Roy did... available at my website too.

*Fuchur*

From personal experiance with game modding (Halo PC) with A:M. It is possible to do.... but hard. Example: Easy if you just do a tweak here and there but hard if you redo a character mainly b/c of texturing and flattening the modeling.

Photoman