Hash, Inc. Forums

Episode 4 Underway

ernesttx

I've begun Episode 4.

I've already got about 1 minute pulled together in the editor. Today, I spent some time modeling the police station where Boz and Raffie will be settling into. Here's a picture preview:

pol_St_1.png

I was wanting to create flourescent hanging lights, but I'll have to look into that later. I tried bulbs and kliegs to a tube model; but, nothing came out to my satisfaction. But, I'm liking the station as it currently is.

Also, I spent the last couple of days going through files and trying to clean up some things that will make going forward easier. Asset management is becoming a big thing as the series progresses. It's good to know where particular files are located (whether they be picture, sound, music, models, projects, etc.). Another big thing is backing up all the data. I'm not a big fan of losing files, either. For example, the first episode contained about 10,000 files and weighed in at about 2.8 GB. It would not be a good thing to have those suddenly disappear. I figure one episode to one DVD should make it easier to find something or go back and redit, if necessary. In addition, naming files appropriately is a big help. You should stick to a naming convention religiously. For example, in shot 1 if you have multiple cameras set up, naming individual picture files should follow what the picture is; for example: shot1_cam1_0000.png. And if a particular background element goes with that picture, name it: shot1_BG_cam1_00000.png. Or, something along those lines. It's no good to name a picture file as frame_0000.png.

Ok, back to modeling. As always, critiques or comments are always welcome.

For back up, I'd recommend another hard drive. Preferably internal which are dirt cheap nowadays. Then you can use sync software (I use SyncToy) to duplicate your project data.

Nice scene. For florescent lights, you might try using the ambient property to get it lit and use a standard light to fake the light coming off it.

Just a quick update, I've gotten all the scenes lined out for Episode 4. I'll be animating the individual shots tonight. I'm going to add a little something special in this episode. I came up with a little idea the other night and wanted to include it.

Meanwhile, here is a picture preview of Boz relaxing in his little office. :)

boz_office.png