sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need some help understanding actions

agep

I have made an walk cycle for an character of mine. This action is repeated approximately ten times in the chor. However, in the middle of the walk I need the character to do some other movements whit his hands, head and torso, while still walking. What is the best approach to set up this? blending in some other action?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Stian,

Blending is the way to go if you're making the change during the walk cycle but it can be a little tricky to get it the way you want.

George

First I would create the walkcycle without the hands moving. Save this one to an external file, rename it to "action_no_hands" (for example) and reimport it again.

(By this you can copy the action).

Now embed all by rightclicking in the PWS at the project (first entry at the top) -> embedd all.

Now animate the hands in the second action (name it "action_with_hands").

Now you should be able to blend these two actions without problems.

*Fuchur*

First I would create the walkcycle without the hands moving. Save this one to an external file, rename it to "action_no_hands" (for example) and reimport it again.

Now embed all by rightclicking in the PWS at the project (first entry at the top) -> embedd all.

*Fuchur*

Thanks. That worked like a charm. My only consern is if I have to update the walkcycle I then have to update both the acticonfiles?

You can do it by making a new action running parallel to the cycle. Just make it an "Add" action in the properties. Also, pay attention to the ordering of the actions in the PWS. Finally, keep your model bone clean in one action at the top with no other bone alterations. Otherwise the model will jump positions. With this arrangement, the cycle can control the action, but you can make moves in the add action. However, if you need specific moves, it could be difficult counter animating against the action. Here's an illustration....

add.JPG

Hi Stian,

Blending is the way to go if you're making the change during the walk cycle but it can be a little tricky to get it the way you want.

George

*Fuchur*

When you say "without the hands moving" Are you saying to not add keys for the arms and hands? If so, then you are basically having to animate the hands through out the entire walk cycle it seems.

If you are animating the hands separately, you still need to animating the arm swing for the walk cycle. If you want to add the different arm movement if I'm understanding you and forgive me if I'm not, you would then have to animate the arm swing to the hand change and finish the cycle with the arm swing?

If Stian is only trying to do a small hand change (like in the waving tutorial), then it's easier to just overload the animation by creating the small change in a separate action and blending it at the right time in the animation as shown in the "walk and wave" tutorial.

George